Introduction

KingJamal2

Hello everyone.

I have been fishkeeping for about 2 years now. I only do freshwater, due to the fact that I don’t feel comfortable spending money on saltwater.

I have 3 tanks currently set up. A 10 gallon, an 11 gallon, and a no filter 2 gallon. I will be getting a 40 gallon for Christmas.

In the 10 gallon tank, I have guppies, fake plants, (this was the aquarium I started with) and a HOB filter.

In the 11 gallon, I have RCS, MTS, and live plants (java moss, java fern, crypt WendtiI and more soon) with a sponge filter

I breed cherry shrimp and sell them to a LFS, so I know a thing or two about Neocaridina shrimp.

I also have a 2 gallon no filter tank with dwarf hair grass, RCS, nerite snails, dwarf hair grass, and various types of Rotala.

I look forward to being a participant of this forum, and will be excited to get my 40 gallon tank for Christmas!

SAM321

Welcome.
Pls tell more about breeding cherry shrimps.
Challanges faced by you etc.
I once got a setup with 6 shrimps. All died one by one with no known reasons

KingJamal2

SAM321 said:
Welcome.
Pls tell more about breeding cherry shrimps.
Challanges faced by you etc.
I once got a setup with 6 shrimps. All died one by one with no known reasons
Sure,
When I first get my shrimp I drip acclimate them for about an hour. (It may seem excessive, but I have never lost a shrimp using this method). I would definitely recommend drip acclimation.

The biggest challenge I have faced so far was getting my tap water parameters in check for cherry shrimp. My tap water has a very high TDS level, it’s around 800. Once I found that out, I switched to RO water and have been using it for a year now. I remineralize using bee shrimp GH+ and bring TDS to about 300.

One of the biggest necessities with shrimp breeding is a bio film over every thing in the tank. Shrimp are constantly grazing, and you need something for them to eat.

I feed them once a week with homemade food. As far as in tank food goes, I like to add a couple of Indian almond leaves, sometimes called catappa leaves. The shrimp really like to eat the microorganisms that eat the leaves.

I do extensive culling, so I only keep the ones that are a deep red.

snails are also a very good idea, the shrimp like to eat the algae off the snails shells.

If you have any questions, let me know and I would be happy to help. Happy fish keeping!

SAM321

Thanks. Some clarifications please
1.what do you mean by Bio film
2. What is that home made food
3. Once a week means they are getting the Home foods once a week and some thing else in other days or they are required to fed once a week.

Also please tell me how easy it is as a process
How many babies you get say monthly and what is growth rate

Again mega thanks

KingJamal2

Biofilm is the layer of bacteria that grows on the surfaces of the tank.

The homemade food is a blend of frozen spinach chunks, shelled peas, prawns, and a small (small) chunk of salmon, and water (to help it blend) Blend them all together, press thin, and freeze. Then just break a piece off and throw it into the tank.

Once a week means that I feed them only once a week. They get most of their other food from the biofilm. Other people feed everyday, but that’s just not my style. If you feel more comfortable feeding every day, that’s perfectly fine.

the process is actually surprisingly easy. They pretty much breed on their own and the babies are at a sellable size in about 2 to 3 weeks. I get about 40 or 50 new shrimp in a month. I sell most of them. If you keep the colony small and sell the majority of them, they will breed more.

the key to breeding is to keep it consistent. Shrimp can’t handle drastic change, so you have to pay special attention to your water parameters.

if you have any more questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to help!

thanks

SAM321

thanks Jamal. That's wonderful

I gained much knowledge on shrimps.

Best regards

KingJamal2

Anytime

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom