Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Kermode, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

Hello all!
    I have been a long time lurker but figured I should join as I reference this site quite often when doing any research. (Thank you all for your help!)
    I am sure I am like many of you and was exposed to the fish hobby at a young age, in my case by my mom, who just loved her fish. I wouldn't say she was a hobbyist by any means but her Guppies, platys, mollies and later Angels and Kribensis were always relaxing for her to just sit and watch. By the time I was in HS I had two 55 gal, a 29 gal and 10 ten gallons for various breeding "programs" that I started which ranged from live bearers to Angels and other Cichlids. I had a lot of help by a great guy named Dell (RIP) from a LFS who showed me how they were breeding Angels due to the hole in the head disease that was wiping everything out way back then, and, for a while here in Az, no one was importing angels so you could only get local bred and with that, came a massive price increase of course. Since then I have always had at least one tank set up as a community tank and usually a couple others as quarantine or breeding tanks depending on what I was wanting doing at the time.
    I have recently started getting into planted tanks (Low tech, decent light, dosing ferts, no co2)
    and just recently converted my 125 to planted after the plants that were given to me by a good friend were taking over my 55 and needed thinned out. Right now I just have some basics, Java fern, Anubias, Wisteria, Java Moss, Xmas Moss, Amazon Sword, Bolbitis, Ludwigia, vals, Anacharis (throwback to childhood lol), and some various Crypts. most of these were cuttings or trimmings from a friend and were more of a test to see what I could grow in my tanks conditions.
    My next project will be breeding Rams (GBR, Electric Blue and Gold) as I have found their little antics fun to watch and they have so much personality.
    Currently keeping Neons, Cardinals, Black Neons, Glo lite, Von Rio (Flame), Serpae, Rosy, Black skirt, three different Danios, Tequila Sunrise and Black/Blue Moscow Guppies, Various Sailfin Mollies. I am also a big fan of Cory's and currently have Albino, Green, Julii, Panda, Pepper, Sterbai, and Bronze. I might be getting some Pygmy Cory's pretty soon. Others include SAE, a Blueeyed Bushynose, some Nerites and a few basic Ghost Shrimps (haven't taken the plunge for fancy shrimp keeping....yet...)
    Anywho, that is pretty much it for now. Thank you all again for your posts that have always been a great reference!
    Sorry for the long post.....lol!
    Robert.

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore! :smug:

Sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you enjoy your stay!

3. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

4. OP
    OP
    Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

Always do! he he! thank you!

Thank you!

5. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

If you ever get the time, we'd love to see some of your fish and tanks! Beautiful ram on your avatar by the way.:)

6. OP
    OP
    Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

I plan on posting some pics here pretty soon. The 125 is still getting aquascaped as I just changed it from white sand to BDBS (with fish in tank...Gawd what a nightmare ..lol) so it's kinda bare right now but might get done by next weekend (hoping). As for the ram, thank you! It's one of two that I was able to find (local hobbyist trade in) at a lfs. Was really showing good color that day.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

8. OP
    OP
    Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

Thank you!!!

9. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Glad you decided to finally take the plunge! Welcome.

10. OP
    OP
    Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

Well, I figure it's better to admit you have an addiction and keep doing it...than to deny it standing there surrounded by fish, looking up like like your confused..."what addiction?!?" as water drips off your arm cause you just had to have that new plant for the tank....and yes, the new plant looks great!

11. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome!

12. OP
    OP
    Kermode

KermodeNew MemberMember

Thank you! Having a good time so far! he he!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice