Introducing tetra neons help.

Boopy Mitch

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi.
i am wanting to get some tetra neons.
my tank is 240 litres and 100cm across the front.
my current fish are:
- 1 adult rainbow shark
- 3 synodontis ilebrevis
- 2 clown loaches
- 6 red rainbow fish
can I get some tetra neons and if so how many can I have. (10, 20 or more).
also would you introduce ten at a time or get all 20 or 30 at once.
Thanks.

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally wouldn't add Neons to your tank. They like their water on the cool side, and your current stock likes it on the warm side. Also, the Clown loaches, should be in a much bigger tank.

TheKiwi

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is when I would pop in with an alternative suggestion! Cardinal tetras. They grow a little bigger, have a larger streak of blue, and can tolerate higher temperatures much more compatible with your stock. I would suggest adding 2x batches of 5 cardinals, spacing them out about a week.

Btw I'm not sure you realize how massive clown loaches grow :O

Boopy Mitch

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the answers. The temp of my tank is currently at 26C. Are the cardinals easier to keep, more hardy than neons?
I do know how large clown loaches get and will rehome once they exceed my aquarium

TheKiwi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Boopy Mitch said:
Thanks for the answers. The temp of my tank is currently at 26C. Are the cardinals easier to keep, more hardy than neons?
I do know how large clown loaches get and will rehome once they exceed my aquarium
Cardinals will thrive just fine at that temp. That's actually the exact temperature I rear mine in in any case, you could probably go up to 15 cardinals, making sure to stagger the additions. And yes I do find them to be much hardier.

Straying back to clown loaches though, just an FYI, a lot of people misunderstand and think that you can simply observe the fish's growth at a point in time, then decide whether it's time to re-home. Unfortunately, what they don't realize is that a fish will pre-emptively have its growth stunted by its non-ideal environment. This almost always lead to physical deformities (eg curved spines) or early deaths. I won't bug you about it anymore, but hope you can think about it. Cheers

Boopy Mitch

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks again for the advice. Cardinals do sound like a better option. And for the clown loaches, I didn't know about deformities so I will definitely listen to your advice about them.
what do you have with your cardinals?

TheKiwi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Boopy Mitch said:
Thanks again for the advice. Cardinals do sound like a better option. And for the clown loaches, I didn't know about deformities so I will definitely listen to your advice about them.
what do you have with your cardinals?
Cardinals ARE pricier though! Haha. But they are sweet. Some of mine are about 1.5 inches and just huge. Hahah.

Um. In my 30 gal, I have 10 of them with only corydoras

In my 55 gal, I have 25 of em with a pair of mated Angels and well. Even more corydoras haha

Most people would strongly strongly advise against keeping Angels (which I breed recreationally) with cardinals because there's a chance that a fully grown angel (about 5 inches across the body) could gobble up the smaller ones for snack. But IMO, Angels have very wide spectrum of personality. Mine happen to do extremely well with small little fishes.

Other good tank mate options are honey gouramis! Bolivian Rams are good time IMO.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd be concerned the rainbows (both species) would eat the neons, or try to at least.
On a side note, rainbows do better in a longer tank. (both species)

Megg01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank is already going to be overstocked with the clown loaches. They need 150+ gallon tanks because they grow large and need to be kept in groups of 6+. I would also be concerned about the rainbows rating the neons. If you added them I would do it in increments of 10-15 fish at a time, but that's just my opinion.

BriLandy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say no as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom