Introducing Shrimp To Betta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin Wilson

Reaction score
hi everyone!

I have this awesome Betta called Riddick and he is quite the character. I have two snails and I’m wanting to put in two shrimp. I’ve attempted this before and went on vacation came back to them completely vanished. We’re thinking he had a tasty snack. I was looking into mesh breeders to try to introduce the shrimp to him for a few weeks depending on his temperament. Thoughts? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a mesh breeder or something else? I have the 5 gallon fluval uploaded

Attachments

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Putting the shrimp in a breeder net to "introduce" them to the betta would be like rolling up the dessert cart in a restaurant...
If you are willing to chance them getting eaten, then put them in. Either he will eat them or he won't. (but I'm guessing he will).

GrayRas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah they will make a snack of them. I had learned this the hard way after my betta had a $70 meal.. if you can get some of the larger shrimp that may work.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thinking that he is just a bully, haha
not a bully, He is just a Betta lol, Bettas are solitary animals very few fish and inverts that you can keep with them that they wont go after. Even fish that are way bigger than them, a betta would not be afraid to attack.

FreshwaterPhotog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With my Bettas, I added the Betta last. Everything else in the tank had a territory so the Betta had to learn where he fit in. I only had one Betta, a Veiltail, that went after shrimp right away. It was just his nature.

I found that if you have Bettas with long flowing fins or Dumbo Ears, they are a lot slower and the shrimp learned to just get out of the way and the Betta learned that they were too quick for him.

It really depends on their personality. With the tank being only 5 gallons, what else has he got to do but hunt down shrimp?

NickAu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Male Bettas are solitary fish and best kept that way, the only reason I add critters to my male Betta tanks is to give them something to hunt and eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 63 66.3%

Top Bottom