Introducing New Guppies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by aaron1999, Jun 24, 2019.

1. aaron1999New MemberMember

Hey there! I currently have a 21L tank that's been running for about a year and a half. It's been passed on from my partner who used to have 2 guppies and a sucking catfish (sorry I don't know the proper term ).

Anyway, unfortunately the 2 guppies died about 6 months ago but the catfish is still alive and well. I gave the tank a really good clean out a couple of weeks ago and I'm just wondering whether it would be safe to introduce 2 new guppies into the tank with the catfish who is about a year and a half old.

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If you can post a pic of your "catfish" that would be helpful seeing your tank is about a 5 gallon it may be too small of a tank for it. You would be better off putting a Betta in there providing you have a filter ( preferrably low flow for a betta) and a heater set between 78-81

3. aaron1999New MemberMember

Hey there, not my fish but this is what he looks like. He's only about 6-8cms

Attached Files:

4. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Looks like a specie of a chinese algae eater and yes i believe it will get much to big for your tank unfortunately.

6. aaron1999New MemberMember

Ah really? Doesn't seem to have grown much at all in the last year, I assumed he'd probably be at about his maximum now

7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A fish in a smaller tank than where they should be will usually still live but they will be terribly stunted and it'll shorten their life dramatically

8. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

Could you be confusing it with one that looks like this (the little guy on the rock)?
    IMG_1662.JPG

9. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

To be fair, to the untrained eye, it's difficult to spot the differences.

A Chinese algae eater has the black line kind of broken up like the one in the picture from the OP. It also has a pretty straight line from head to tail.

The second fish (otocinclus) has a solid black line down the side, usually with a black spot on the tail. It also is more of a triangle or tadpole shape with a fat head, tapering to a point at the tail.

10. aaron1999New MemberMember

The line is broken up on my fish, I will send a proper picture of him when I get home from work

11. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

How exactly did you do a "good" clean out?