Introducing New Guppies

aaron1999

Reaction score
Hey there! I currently have a 21L tank that's been running for about a year and a half. It's been passed on from my partner who used to have 2 guppies and a sucking catfish (sorry I don't know the proper term ).

Anyway, unfortunately the 2 guppies died about 6 months ago but the catfish is still alive and well. I gave the tank a really good clean out a couple of weeks ago and I'm just wondering whether it would be safe to introduce 2 new guppies into the tank with the catfish who is about a year and a half old.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aaron1999 said:
Hey there! I currently have a 21L tank that's been running for about a year and a half. It's been passed on from my partner who used to have 2 guppies and a sucking catfish (sorry I don't know the proper term ).

Anyway, unfortunately the 2 guppies died about 6 months ago but the catfish is still alive and well. I gave the tank a really good clean out a couple of weeks ago and I'm just wondering whether it would be safe to introduce 2 new guppies into the tank with the catfish who is about a year and a half old.
If you can post a pic of your "catfish" that would be helpful seeing your tank is about a 5 gallon it may be too small of a tank for it. You would be better off putting a Betta in there providing you have a filter ( preferrably low flow for a betta) and a heater set between 78-81

OP
A

aaron1999

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
If you can post a pic of your "catfish" that would be helpful seeing your tank is about a 5 gallon it may be too small of a tank for it. You would be better off putting a Betta in there providing you have a filter ( preferrably low flow for a betta) and a heater set between 78-81
Hey there, not my fish but this is what he looks like. He's only about 6-8cms

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aaron1999 said:
Hey there, not my fish but this is what he looks like. He's only about 6-8cms
Looks like a specie of a chinese algae eater and yes I believe it will get much to big for your tank unfortunately.

OP
A

aaron1999

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Looks like a specie of a chinese algae eater and yes I believe it will get much to big for your tank unfortunately.
Ah really? Doesn't seem to have grown much at all in the last year, I assumed he'd probably be at about his maximum now

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aaron1999 said:
Ah really? Doesn't seem to have grown much at all in the last year, I assumed he'd probably be at about his maximum now
A fish in a smaller tank than where they should be will usually still live but they will be terribly stunted and it'll shorten their life dramatically

LeahsTank

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could you be confusing it with one that looks like this (the little guy on the rock)?
IMG_1662.JPG

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LeahsTank said:
Could you be confusing it with one that looks like this (the little guy on the rock)?
IMG_1662.JPG
To be fair, to the untrained eye, it's difficult to spot the differences.

A Chinese algae eater has the black line kind of broken up like the one in the picture from the OP. It also has a pretty straight line from head to tail.

The second fish (otocinclus) has a solid black line down the side, usually with a black spot on the tail. It also is more of a triangle or tadpole shape with a fat head, tapering to a point at the tail.

OP
A

aaron1999

Reaction score
Wraithen said:
To be fair, to the untrained eye, it's difficult to spot the differences.

A Chinese algae eater has the black line kind of broken up like the one in the picture from the OP. It also has a pretty straight line from head to tail.

The second fish (otocinclus) has a solid black line down the side, usually with a black spot on the tail. It also is more of a triangle or tadpole shape with a fat head, tapering to a point at the tail.
The line is broken up on my fish, I will send a proper picture of him when I get home from work

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom