Introducing New Anglefish To The Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Megha, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MeghaNew MemberMember

I introduced today a new angelfish to my already existing male angelfish in the community tank. My old veil tail angelfish is fully grown and my new one is small compared to it. After I introduced it was chased by my older one and it's fins are a bit nibbled by the elder one. I think the new one is a male too. How can I stop this aggression between them. Would my smaller one be beaten to death if I don't do anything?

2. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Remove both angels, re-arrange the tank (move decorations into different location than previously), and re-introduce the angels.

3. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

How large is the aquarium?

4. MeghaNew MemberMember

35- 40 gallons

5. MeghaNew MemberMember

Tommorow can I introduce my others fishes in community tank, now they are only two in the aquarium and not fighting or attacking each other. I have a rainbow shark Rosy berbs and widow tetras with few other types of berbs would they become more agressive after I introduce them to other fishes

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I don't believe adding more fish (non angels) will increase their aggression towards each other. I don't think it will make any difference.

When angels don't like eachother, it doesn't matter how many other fish are around. They are focused on each other.

This aggression COULD stop on its own if the new one accepts its position as the submissive angel in the tank, allowing the current one to be the dominant one. Or they could ultimately end up being a M/F pair. They could end up getting along fine even if they are both males, as long as they don't BOTH insist on being the alpha of the tank. That's when things will never settle down. When they are all too stubborn to back down.

As suggested...rearranging the tank is a must when adding a new angel to an existing angel's tank. That way it is a new environment for both and the new one is not invading the old one's established territory.

I suggest rearranging the tank and adding the rest of the fish. Give the angels a few more days to settle things between them. But keep a very very close eye on the bullied one and use your best judgement on whether or not you need to separate them.

It may and up that you can't keep the new angel, it may end up that they will get along fine. Its a crapshoot with angels.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

In an aquarium that size I would only have one angle.