Introducing Myself?

haydog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think this is where I introduce myself! This is my second forum! I used a forum for chickens/ducks. Anyways, hi! I’ve had one fish! His name was Upsee, he was a blue male Betta fish. That was years ago, I have his picture on my wall. Now for my birthday I got ten snails. No fish. We have them in a 10gallon tank, but I’ve never had invertebrates before. I’ve barely had fish before. I joined this site because I’d like to have a community to fall back on if I need help (and help others if I can) and this seemed like a great place to do it! I’m not sure if this is getting long or if it’s short, I also don’t know how to introduce myself. I like to draw, take pictures and write. I also have five ducks, one rabbit, and two dogs. That’s basically it for me! I’m glad I found a place to ask questions about my snails! :)

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome and be forewarned, aquatic life can get addictive. A 10 gallon tank gives you a lot of options. Right now I'm cycling a 10 gallon to be my second shrimp/snail tank. But it is also great if you want small fish, a betta would love it if you want to go that route again. Do a little research into the smaller fish species or shrimp, you might find something that suits your fancy.

OMG, I so miss my chickens and ducks, had them over 30 years and they were very much the pets. Because of my advance age and physical problems, I've had to cut back on the livestock, now only have one last gander, about 20 years old, a child of my old goose that I lost when she was about 25, fox kill, I cried for days. If you want a barnyard bird that thinks the whole world revolves around you, get a day old gosling and hand raise it. But when I did have the ducks, they were muscovies and the chickens were mostly silver seabrights, white chocin banties and light bramhas. But through the years there were other varieties, I did enjoy the ameracona's because of the blue eggs, lol and of course the red pullets produced more brown eggs than I knew what to do with. But my favorite barnyard bird were always the turkeys, they are the silliest and most affectionate of birds. And I actually showed rabbits, French lops were my passion, but also had English lops and mini lops as well as New Zealand whites. One of these years I'll actually pull out all those flippen ribbons and make a quilt out of them, lol.

But back to your original post, hard to go wrong with snails. Don't know what kind you have, but most breed like crazy. Nerites basically don't reproduce in fresh water. The adults do well, live a long time, come in a variety of colors, and lay eggs like crazy, but the young need brackish water to grow on. Mystery snails can reproduce in fresh water, but require special conditions to do so. Ramshorn, bladder, rabbit and assassin snails will all reproduce very well for you. I love 3 of the 4 varieties of snails I have, I find them cute and interesting to watch. The only one I have a problem with is the bladder snails, they do way too well for me and are taking over my shrimp tank. I didn't want them to start with, came on some plants and have been in an all out war with them since.

OP
haydog

haydog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mimo91088 said:
Welcome! Snails are one of my absolute favorite animals. What kind did you get?
I think they’re Mystery Snails or Apple Snails? Are those the same thing? I’m not sure haha! I was afraid of snails for the longest time (basically anything slimy or not fluffy) but they’ve grown on me! I was afraid of fish before I got my Betta! :D Now I love them!

barbiespoodle said:
Welcome and be forewarned, aquatic life can get addictive. A 10 gallon tank gives you a lot of options. Right now I'm cycling a 10 gallon to be my second shrimp/snail tank. But it is also great if you want small fish, a betta would love it if you want to go that route again. Do a little research into the smaller fish species or shrimp, you might find something that suits your fancy.

OMG, I so miss my chickens and ducks, had them over 30 years and they were very much the pets. Because of my advance age and physical problems, I've had to cut back on the livestock, now only have one last gander, about 20 years old, a child of my old goose that I lost when she was about 25, fox kill, I cried for days. If you want a barnyard bird that thinks the whole world revolves around you, get a day old gosling and hand raise it. But when I did have the ducks, they were muscovies and the chickens were mostly silver seabrights, white chocin banties and light bramhas. But through the years there were other varieties, I did enjoy the ameracona's because of the blue eggs, lol and of course the red pullets produced more brown eggs than I knew what to do with. But my favorite barnyard bird were always the turkeys, they are the silliest and most affectionate of birds. And I actually showed rabbits, French lops were my passion, but also had English lops and mini lops as well as New Zealand whites. One of these years I'll actually pull out all those flippen ribbons and make a quilt out of them, lol.

But back to your original post, hard to go wrong with snails. Don't know what kind you have, but most breed like crazy. Nerites basically don't reproduce in fresh water. The adults do well, live a long time, come in a variety of colors, and lay eggs like crazy, but the young need brackish water to grow on. Mystery snails can reproduce in fresh water, but require special conditions to do so. Ramshorn, bladder, rabbit and assassin snails will all reproduce very well for you. I love 3 of the 4 varieties of snails I have, I find them cute and interesting to watch. The only one I have a problem with is the bladder snails, they do way too well for me and are taking over my shrimp tank. I didn't want them to start with, came on some plants and have been in an all out war with them since.
My brother is trying to talk me into shrimp! We had a lot of issues with the snails when I first got them. Lack of color, shell cracking, and tank staying dirty and smelly. We’ve thankfully got most of it under control! It’s still murky but at least the snails are healthy and the smell is gone! I do want to add something to the tank (shrimp, fish or otherwise) but someone told me a 10gallon tank can only hold snails because it’s too small to add another fish/snail/shrimp in there.

I love my duckies!! I have my original three, who then had babies. I have three females to two males, which isn’t the greatest ratio but it works. I had a duck who would follow me around, he sadly was stolen. Still breaks my heart whenever I think about him, his name was Cory. He had a sister Bluebell who was injured when we got her and sadly she passed. My neighbor had a goose!! I always wanted one! They seem so fun! We were discussing our next family animal (as snails/fish are mine) like a Pygmy goat, pig, or a dog! My rabbit is definitely one close to my heart, she and I would lay on the bed and play. Her birthday come up recently and we celebrated with treats, toys and a Critter Totter which is adorable!! Not sure what breed she is, she was also a gift. I’ve realized most of my animals are gifts! Dogs were adopted, Pato the duck was rescued from a sewer, Cory and Bluebell were gifted/rescued, snails were gifts, Amy the rabbit was a gift! You showed rabbits? :eek: I’d love to do that!! I’m not sure where I could or how, especially since Amy bites strangers and hates when strangers touch her.

I have Mystery Snails or Apple Snails! I’m not exactly sure as I didn’t buy them. I want to add something to the tank like a fish to swim with the snails but was told a 10gallon tank was too small. I don’t want to stress the snails out, as I love them and named them so I’d be content with just having them! I might buy a separate tank! I’m already addicted and just want more! I like Betta’s so so much! I’d love to have another one! People said they’d attack the snails, sadly. Someone said I should get a Cory Catfish?

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might find you like shrimp, I'm still surprise at how much I enjoy them, so much so that I'm now setting up my second shrimp/snail only tank, like you a 10 gallon. But don't be in too much of a rush, it sounds like your tank still has some settling to do. Mine has only been going almost 3 weeks now and I figure I have at least that long again, if not longer before it's ready for shrimp. Yesterday I started adding the plants and today I'm hoping to have time to add the snails and a couple of my thousands of guppies to help in the cycling process.

and yes, a 10 gallon is small and does limit your options, but it is still possible to keep fish, just not a lot or big ones, but can still be an interesting and beautiful tank. Start researching fish while you wait for your tank to settle.

Oh do get a goat, they are so much fun. Back when I was younger and able to take care of them, I had a hobby farm, lots of animals, even had a horse that stayed with me 8 months of the year because his owner didn't have time for him, and the goats were a favorite of mine. I even had one, Gommie Goat, that like to take care rides and visit the pet store.

I miss it all, now it's just the two dogs, three cats, one old gander and the fish tanks. But I only keep what I can take care of properly and time has not been a friend to me. Even so, I can't imagine not having critters, they make life so much more interesting.

My shrimp tank, it's a 20 gallon planted tank, I started with 15 red cherry shrimp and now have way over 100 as far as I can tell.

Attachments

OP
haydog

haydog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
barbiespoodle said:
You might find you like shrimp, I'm still surprise at how much I enjoy them, so much so that I'm now setting up my second shrimp/snail only tank, like you a 10 gallon. But don't be in too much of a rush, it sounds like your tank still has some settling to do. Mine has only been going almost 3 weeks now and I figure I have at least that long again, if not longer before it's ready for shrimp. Yesterday I started adding the plants and today I'm hoping to have time to add the snails and a couple of my thousands of guppies to help in the cycling process.

and yes, a 10 gallon is small and does limit your options, but it is still possible to keep fish, just not a lot or big ones, but can still be an interesting and beautiful tank. Start researching fish while you wait for your tank to settle.

Oh do get a goat, they are so much fun. Back when I was younger and able to take care of them, I had a hobby farm, lots of animals, even had a horse that stayed with me 8 months of the year because his owner didn't have time for him, and the goats were a favorite of mine. I even had one, Gommie Goat, that like to take care rides and visit the pet store.

I miss it all, now it's just the two dogs, three cats, one old gander and the fish tanks. But I only keep what I can take care of properly and time has not been a friend to me. Even so, I can't imagine not having critters, they make life so much more interesting.

My shrimp tank, it's a 20 gallon planted tank, I started with 15 red cherry shrimp and now have way over 100 as far as I can tell.
I’m actually going to make another thread on here asking for help! My snails are settling in nicely now, and I realized I’m happy with just snails and focusing on them. I’m getting a reptile soon, and didn’t want to add the stress of a fish and a new reptile. My family has had reptiles but never while I was alive so now it’s my turn! However, a friend of mine got a fish and didn’t want it. She was planning on putting the fish with much larger and aggressive fish! I nearly fainted. She gave it to me instead, now it’s in a ventilated container but not moving. It was still in the pet store bag when she gave it to me. I panicked and researched a bunch, it’s a Suckermouth? I think? It’s not moving but from what I read that's normal? It’s alive, and twitches if the tank is jostled. So it’s responsive. I’m running out to buy a tank and the supplies but literally have no idea what to get. I read they grow larger than 24in? How could I keep that? It also has something hanging out of it, not a whisker, it’s on it’s stomach and looks like a stick has poked into it. I’m not sure where to find help, so I was going to post another thread on this site asking for help.

Also, your tank is beautiful! I hope mine will look like that one day! I think shrimp are so fascinating! My brother would love them! I’d love to keep a horse, for any amount of time! If I can get a good picture I’d love to show you my dogs, rabbit, snails and ducks! I’m glad you’re still into keeping animals! If not maybe you wouldn’t have been on this site and replied to me! You’ve definitely helped make me feel welcome in this fish/snail/shrimp/aquarium community! :)

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By suckermouth, I'm assuming you mean either a pleco or a chinese algae eater. Both get big, common plecos get huge. Both are tough fish and I hope you have luck with your rescue. But if things do not turn out good, just remember, you at least tried and that says a lot.

And yea, I'll give up critters when they pry them from my cold dead hands :D

My dogs, the first is Eustace, my pound puppy, I always have a pound dog. He's my problem child, constant aggravation and I wouldn't trade him for a pot of gold. The second is Roland, my most recent standard poodle (note my name, I'm all about the poodles, lol), just after I got done grooming him. He's almost the perfect proper poodle, except for all the bad habits his big brother Eustace has taught him :rolleyes:

Attachments

OP
haydog

haydog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
barbiespoodle said:
By suckermouth, I'm assuming you mean either a pleco or a chinese algae eater. Both get big, common plecos get huge. Both are tough fish and I hope you have luck with your rescue. But if things do not turn out good, just remember, you at least tried and that says a lot.

And yea, I'll give up critters when they pry them from my cold dead hands :D

My dogs, the first is Eustace, my pound puppy, I always have a pound dog. He's my problem child, constant aggravation and I wouldn't trade him for a pot of gold. The second is Roland, my most recent standard poodle (note my name, I'm all about the poodles, lol), just after I got done grooming him. He's almost the perfect proper poodle, except for all the bad habits his big brother Eustace has taught him :rolleyes:
Yeah! Suckermouth pleco! I’ve put him in his 29gallon tank and have supplies ordered. I’ve moved him from 10gallon to 29gallon so hopefully he can grow to what size he needs! Harry seems to have settled in, he loves his pineapple and I can’t wait to add real plants! Some told me he’d need 55gal tank and I’d try to get it for him! I won’t give up! My friend said she had one and it stayed a few inches so tiny but he’s in a 29gal tank now so hopefully he’ll be happy! He hasn’t ate his algae wafer yet but I hope he will soon!
0DFC4314-6608-4948-944D-F17AC3CAA035.jpeg

My goodness!! Roland is so handsome!! I love poodles that I meet at dog parks! Eustace is such a cool name! I’ve never heard it before! I have Binti and Comet! :D
71167E58-AECE-47C5-8A1B-3487ACA5D6F0.jpeg
CE56C89B-4939-4F76-86DD-0D17A617398A.jpeg
55CFA3C5-7031-48B2-9A40-19B4DF66C82C.jpeg

Sankalpakc

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You'll have to update us in a year or two at how big the pleco is getting. They just grow and grow if they have the space.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For now a 29 gallon will hold your pleco, but he will get huge. I love them, but gave up on them because I have too much luck with them. I have a 55 gallon and the next thing I knew, I found that I ended up with this big log hanging on the side of the tank. I will admit that they are beautiful fish. For now, enjoy him, I think you are going to enjoy watching him grow, they really are fascinating fish.

Lol, your dogs are adorable. That second pic is just like my boys playing. They love each other, I call them big brother (Eustace) and little brother (Roland), but sometimes they also fight like brothers. Eustace is a old timey country type name. When I adopt a dog from the pound, I give them a new name to start their new life and he just looked like a Eustace to me. Roland was a name I picked out before I got Roland. I'm a huge Steven King fan and my all around favorite SK book is actually a 7 book series called The Dark Tower, starting with The Gunslinger, the gunslinger being Roland Deshane. I'm going to assume you got the name Binty from Steve Irwin?

New Threads