Introducing.... my cherry shrimp :)

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by junebug, Dec 8, 2013.

1. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    These are a few of my favorites from my biotope tank. I still haven't been able to get a picture of my super red girl. I think she's molting this week because I've only seen her once or twice. Still, I got the second reddest girl and one of my favorite males in these shots.

DSCF5786 (1280x721).DSCF5787 (1280x721).DSCF5788 (1280x721).DSCF5789 (1280x721).DSCF5792 (1280x721).DSCF5795 (1280x721).

Enjoy

2. ZakAttack

ZakAttackValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    3 years
    That's pretty sweet. I have some RCS as well. they are fun to watch when it's mating time....

When you get enough of them, it'll be a little whirlwind of shrimp in the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    junebug

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They don't seem to want to make babies I haven't had a single berried female yet, which is very sad. I would love to see what they throw. Maybe they're just not old enough yet, all of the males are juvies still. Not sure what age they start breeding at.

I love that last pic of the very red girl. Just put it on my website for when I can sell cherries

4. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They are cute little guys. I've never kept any shrimp but I'm afraid I don't have a tank in which they wouldn't be eaten.

5. OP
    OP
    junebug

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Lol LDF, my first two batches were eaten almost in their entirety. I only have two survivors in this tank and two that I scooped out when all of their shrimpy tankmates were eaten. They live with a betta who doesn't seem interested in them.

The tiny sparklers on the other hand, are shrimp assassins. I finally figured out that the key to all of this is keeping lower grade shrimp. For some reason, the gouramis don't notice the ones that aren't fire engine red.

6. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So I would have to buy a batch of them and stick one in each betta tank and see how long they last. If one survives the betta then I could stick more in there, lol. Somewhat cruel trial an error.

7. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    They will, it took mine a couple of months before they started to mate. Those are very nice ones.
    How many do you have?

8. Viriam Karo

Viriam KaroWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +113
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Very nice! I don't know what age they start at either--mine must have come in with fairly mature individuals, as I've already got two berried girls swimming around, and another one is saddled.

9. OP
    OP
    junebug

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have somewhere around 10 in this tank (think I lost a few to stress). Hopefully they start breeding soon. They'll be moving with the gouramis to a different tank in the next few days and it's going to be smaller, but with a lot more cover, as I'm basically planning to cram all of the plants from the current 15 gallon into the 6.6 gallon. There'll be a nice moss carpet as I have a lot of java moss in their current tank that I'm not going to switch in with a different fish stock, and a bunch of driftwood and hiding spots.

I'll be sure to post pictures of that once everyone is settled in.

Become a Fishlore Member