Introducing.... my cherry shrimp :)

junebug

Fishlore Legend
These are a few of my favorites from my biotope tank. I still haven't been able to get a picture of my super red girl. I think she's molting this week because I've only seen her once or twice. Still, I got the second reddest girl and one of my favorite males in these shots.

DSCF5786 (1280x721).jpgDSCF5787 (1280x721).jpgDSCF5788 (1280x721).jpgDSCF5789 (1280x721).jpgDSCF5792 (1280x721).jpgDSCF5795 (1280x721).jpg

Enjoy

ZakAttack

That's pretty sweet. I have some RCS as well. they are fun to watch when it's mating time....

When you get enough of them, it'll be a little whirlwind of shrimp in the tank.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
They don't seem to want to make babies I haven't had a single berried female yet, which is very sad. I would love to see what they throw. Maybe they're just not old enough yet, all of the males are juvies still. Not sure what age they start breeding at.

I love that last pic of the very red girl. Just put it on my website for when I can sell cherries

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
They are cute little guys. I've never kept any shrimp but I'm afraid I don't have a tank in which they wouldn't be eaten.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Lol LDF, my first two batches were eaten almost in their entirety. I only have two survivors in this tank and two that I scooped out when all of their shrimpy tank mates were eaten. They live with a betta who doesn't seem interested in them.

The tiny sparklers on the other hand, are shrimp assassins. I finally figured out that the key to all of this is keeping lower grade shrimp. For some reason, the gouramis don't notice the ones that aren't fire engine red.

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
So I would have to buy a batch of them and stick one in each betta tank and see how long they last. If one survives the betta then I could stick more in there, lol. Somewhat cruel trial an error.

Ziabis

Well Known
They will, it took mine a couple of months before they started to mate. Those are very nice ones.
How many do you have?

Viriam Karo

Well Known
Very nice! I don't know what age they start at either--mine must have come in with fairly mature individuals, as I've already got two berried girls swimming around, and another one is saddled.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
I have somewhere around 10 in this tank (think I lost a few to stress). Hopefully they start breeding soon. They'll be moving with the gouramis to a different tank in the next few days and it's going to be smaller, but with a lot more cover, as I'm basically planning to cram all of the plants from the current 15 gallon into the 6.6 gallon. There'll be a nice moss carpet as I have a lot of java moss in their current tank that I'm not going to switch in with a different fish stock, and a bunch of driftwood and hiding spots.

I'll be sure to post pictures of that once everyone is settled in.

New Threads