Introducing Ghost Shrimp With Betta?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Annora, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Annora

AnnoraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Ok I have a follow up question for this... I have a betta in a 5 gallon... And want to introduce 2-3 ghost shrimp.... What's the best way to do this.... And I'm ok with him eating any babies.

2. iamemu

iamemuValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm assuming you meant betta, but I know how autocorrect can be lol!

I tried introducing shrimp in both my betta tanks and it didn't go so well but I've learned from my experience and came up with a new method. The betta has already established that the tank is all his territory so that needs to be changed.

Take the betta out of the tank and put him into a plastic container or something he can be comfortable in for an hour or so. If you have fake plants and ornaments move them around so that the tank will appear new and/or different to the betta. Then add the shrimp and let them settle in for about 15 minutes. After they seem settled in and are moving around like normal, add the betta back in. Keep a close eye on the tank for a while to make sure there aren't any problems.

If problems arise you can move the shrimp to a different tank or put them in a temporary home made out of a plastic bin until you can get another tank for them. (Shrimp-only tanks can be really interesting! Or you could invest in a bigger tank for a community of peaceful fish and have them live in there.) This method should work though and give you a rewarding betta and shrimp experience!

Also if you have fake plants I would recommend getting some sort of live plant so your shrimps will be happier. I had a tank full of fake plants and the shrimp were much happier after I added some java moss. Java moss and amazon sword plants are my favorites. You don't have to completely convert to a planted tank but one or two live plants will make your shrimps much happier as well as your betta!

Hope this was helpful and that everyone gets along!

3. OP
    OP
    Annora

Ratings:
    +47
    Wow. That is extremely helpful! Thank you... We may just l Ave him be by himself a while... I was planning on getting 1-2 of those cool looking moss balls for him. And I do need to look into silk plants, but have yet to find any.... IMG_20180331_160005926.

4. iamemu

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    1 year
    Moss balls are really cool, super easy, and bettas love them! The shrimp do too if you decide to get them they would be very happy with a moss ball, so you should definitely get some!

The decor in your tank would give the shrimp plenty of places to hide and get away from the betta, which gives them a better chance at surviving if your betta decides to go after them. Most of the time the betta is just curious and wants to look at them but not attack.

My bettas swim in all levels of their tanks, not just the top like everyone says their bettas do. This probably had influence on why they decided to eat the shrimp. It really depends on the bettas personality and where they like to swim. Even if he doesn't stay at the top everyone should be fine.

Shrimp are very fun little creatures and I would 100% recommend them!

5. OP
    OP
    Annora

Ratings:
    +47
    Helio hangs out all over the place... He is very curious... I put the pH gave in today and I didn't even have it stuck to the tank wall yet... And he was right there like "what ya doing mom? What's that thing?" He then continued to check it out for like 5 minutes. Lol I do have an empty 1 gallon corner tank that he was in before I transferred him to the 5 gallon last weekend, but I'm kind of OCD and like everything exactly where it is,so not really wanting to rearrange. I've learned so much from the helpful folks here today it's unbelievable! Thank you so much.

Should got shrimp be ok in a 1 gallon if Helio decided they were tasty? It has an air stone in it with a tube so bubbles on form on the top....

6. iamemu

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    1 year
    Betta's are so funny and curious! lol

If you really like the tank the way it is you don't have to rearrange, its just a suggestion. After seeing the picture up close it seems that your decor should give the shrimp good hiding places anyway, but you should still take the betta out and add the shrimp while he's not there.

The shrimp should be fine in the 1 gallon if he decides to try and eat them, but add food in the 1 gallon to make sure the shrimp have something to scavenge for since there's no fish for them to clean up after.

Glad you found the forum and got some help! I'm pretty new to the forum as well and was so happy to see everyone was really helpful, this community is awesome!

7. OP
    OP
    Annora

Ratings:
    +47
    I'm doing a 2 gallon water change but honestly... I had no idea what cycle the tank was before I joined here earlier today... I just thought that meant... Was there a filter... Definitely going to get the real moss ball.... I think I need to get a vacuum too cuz I worry about fish waste....

8. Meiki Love

Meiki LoveValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +36
    Experience:
    5 years
    Beautiful tank! I just wanted to give a warning as I had just a rough weekend... becareful and make sure that you have the 1" ghost shrimp. My husband went out to surprise me and bought ghost shrimp from petco. They were unusually big but resembled the pinnochio shrimp (they look a little boxy). They were sold as "ghost shrimp".

I have been noticing my betta acting very strange. And then it looked like his tail was shorter. Now I see fragments of his tail ripped off and it looks shredded. I found out that there are actually 2 types of "ghost shrimp" one is the typical ghost thats 1" and under in length with short arms. The other one is called a Macrobachium shrimp which tend to have longer arms and yu can actually see it's pinchers. They're about 2-3" in length! Do not get those. My husband thought they looked strong and healthy and now I'm trying to set up another tank for these shrimp. My poor betta is 3 years old and he used to be a fighter but I think he's retired and just shooting the breeze. I had other smaller ghost shrimp that seemed to do fine with my betta. He was curious when they first came in... chased a few and after a few days just didn't really care for them. I acclimated and kept them in a small see through Tupperware for my betta to see before I placed them in. I have heard of people QT their betta for a few hours in the tank while adding shrimp but I think it all depends on yur individual betta. Good luck!!!!

Become a Fishlore Member