Introducing Ghost Shrimp To Betta

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Ladyserpentine, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Ladyserpentine

LadyserpentineNew MemberMember

I have just purchased 5 ghost shrimp to go with my male betta in his new aquaponics tank. Supposedly, the shrimp will work along with the plant to keep the water nice and clean.
    I have been advised that there is a danger of the betta attacking or even eating the shrimp, but my guy is pretty passive.
    Is there anything else I need ttttop worry about before introducing them? Any danger of disease? Or of the shrimp attacking him?

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ghost Shrimp usually aren’t seen as easily by the betta, such as cherry or velvet shrimps, they are colorful. Ghosts look like floating dirt to a betta, and go unnoticed in most cases.

The shrimp shouldn’t attack a betta, unless he is lazy.

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Just be sure they have red bands on their claw arms and two red spots on the tail. It may take a day or two for them to show, but if they don't, it's a whisker shrimp, which are dangers to bettas.
    Also, be sure to drip acclimate them :)
    Also, what size tank? 5 ghosts seem like a lot for smaller than a 5 gallon to me. I could be totally off, though

4. OP
    OP
    Ladyserpentine

He's in a 2 gallon tank. I thought that sounded like a lot too, but that's what the guy at the pet store recommended. I suspected they might not really know...

Good, I was actually wondering about their red spots. Glad to know I got the right kind.
    Thank you!

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Glad to hear you got the right ones! Is the current tank cycled? Invertebrates such as snails and shrimp are unable to tolerate any ammonia or nitrite, or nitrates over 20

6. OP
    OP
    Ladyserpentine

I just got a new tank. In the process of getting it cycled this weekend. Any advice on who I should add first? Or is it ok to add shrimp and betta at the same time?

7. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Bettas can survive the cycling process while the shrimp cannot. That being said, you could add them at the same time if you're sure you won't get an ammonia or Nitrite spike. If you choose to add the betta first, you will have to get a cup or something and remove the betta, rearrange the decor, put the shrimp in, then the betta back in

8. OP
    OP
    Ladyserpentine

Ok that's good to know. Hopefully the new tank will be cycled by monday. Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice