Introducing fish to breeder tank with different pH question...

Legion

Im currently trying to undergo the task of breeding neon tetras. I have two breeding tanks. One currently has two neon tetras hanging out in it because i could never get the water parameters right in their tank. Its currently running at 75 degrees F, has a pH of 6.11, and a TDS of 220ppm. The second breeder tank, i think i just got to the right conditions. Its currently running at 75 degrees F, has a pH of 5.05 and a TDS of 35ppm. Now my research has shown me that i need a pH anything as low as 4.5-6.0 and a TDS of less than 10 or 20. This is the best i think i can do so im going to give it a go and move them to the second tank. How should i go about introducing fish from one tank to another that differ in pH and TDS? I dont want to shock them or anything. I've seen videos online where they just drop fish into breeding tanks that they have added peat to make the water softer and more acidic, straight from their community tank. That just seems super wrong to me...
Thanks for any replies and help!

mattgirl

I would drip acclimate them to the parameters of the other tank. Put them in a container with a small amount of water from the tank they are in right now. Use a length of airline tubing with a control valve on the container end of it. Turn the flow down to a couple of drops per second. By the time the water in the container is at least 5 times the amount you started with they should be acclimated. You should be able to just pour them into the new tank along with all the water.

Upvote 0

richiep

Hi Legion personally I think you are right thinking its wrong just to dump them into different parameters, I would ether drip them for a while or do as you would when you first have them and thats add small amounts of water until the tds matches that of the new home
Just dumping them will stress them and chances are they get ich so you have to treat that, so yes take you time until parameters match

Upvote 0

MacZ

When I got my new pencilfish on Tuesday the pH of the water in the transport bag was around 6.2, TDS around 120, EC at 200µSI/cm. My tank has 5.5pH, TDS of around 50, EC at 100µSI/cm.

I did cup acclimation, with 1-2 small cups (I used an old in-vitro cup) every 10 min for about 90minutes. Then poured them in the net and slowly released them in my tank. No losses and the fish started spawning 30min after entering the tank.

Your neons should be definitely hardy enough if you have brought them to breeding condition to withstand the change easily.

But what I would strongly advise longterm: Change their holding tank to similar conditions. pH-difference should be no more than 1 pH-point, TDS difference about 50-70ppm and EC accordingly. Then acclimation is not necessary and moving them back and forth will not be as stressful as it will be with too different parameters.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LowConductivity
  • Question
  • Gage6
  • pH
Replies
Views
Gage6
  • Question