Introducing Filter To Unfiltered Betta Tank

Kkelly09

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member and I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place. I have a betta in a 3 gal tank( I know, pretty small). It is heated and has an airstone the betta seems to like. However, its not filtered. I really want to get a filter but dont know if I can just put it in the tank because it would have to cycle. I understand cycling have had other larger tanks with angel fish, etc. I have had this betta for 3 years but am tired of doing 2-3 water changes a week and want a filter but dont want to kill him in the proccess of cycling the tank. I dont really want to buy a new tank either if it can be avoided. Thank you for any advice.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you have some cycled media on hand, just add a little bit to your new filter and it's instantly cycled!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kkelly09 said:
So all I really need to do is add some cycled filter media to my new filter and thats it? I dont have to add gravel or anything? That makes sense! Thanks.
Nope, you don't have to add any substrate from another tank, you can just plop some media in.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you currently have NO filter and you want to ADD a filter, "cycling" isnt going to kill the fish. Its in an UNcycled tank currently. MUCH more dangerous as there is no filter "cleaning" the water, i.e., converting ammonia to nitrites, nitrites to nitrates. Youll still have to do water changes, and regularly until the tank is cycled, then youll be able to go much longer between changes.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can do a sponge filter instead of a hang on back (hob) filter, that way you can still have the flow your betta is used to and have a filter in tank. There are a few different ones you can look at/use.

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have cycled media from another tank that would do the trick indeed. Otherwise, add a new filter (I also recommend a sponge filter for that size tank) and keep up with water changes frequently until the filter is cycled.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could also look into Mignon micro filters, they aren’t any sort of godly filter, but they are small and hob, so look quite nice. also packed with sponge filter (although I added in even more + cycled media). I have one running on my 7g, along with a sponge filter

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom