Introducing Duece of Hearts, my new rescue betta!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I really need to stop walking past the fish in wal mart. I always tell myself that I won't buy any, because that's just supporting their business. And usually I'm really good, I can resist temptation. I've only given in once before, to a gorgeous little female with lilac fins, which turned out to really be red.
Today I had another mercy buy. Duece (so named because my fish Ace was also a mercy fish, this time from a game night) was in his cup, with just enough water to cover his body if he lay down on the bottom of the cup > :'(. He gave me the "What are you looking at, I didn't ASK to be in this situation! >" look, and I was sold. I couldn't let him stay in that cup.
In the store he appeared off-white with blue edges on his scales and fins; he has already darkened to a kind of khaki color with navy where the blue was in the store, and a green sheen. He is very very pretty, even if his dorsal fin has a kink in it.
I also went to an actual pet store and bought a pair of mollies as a late Christmas gift for my roommate and a pair of guppies for me... unfortunately I think the female I got is actually a male. Stupid pet store people.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
First, Welcome to fishlore!

Second, I am very glad that you walked by the fish and saw poor Deuce laying there like that in that cup of water. That is very sad. At least now he is in a better place and I'm sure he will love his new home.

If you have any questions about anything please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help and support are little fish friends.

Natalie

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome duece!!!!!!! You did a good thing!!!!!!!!! Congrats! Miley

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Greetings emilai333 and welcome Duece.  Hope Duece develops into a happy, healthy Betta

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes congratulations for getting him. He sounds wonderful and so unique in his colors. We will anxiously await some pictures.

Welcome to the Betta Community Duece and my little guys are wildly waving all their fins to welcome you.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome, Deuce!!!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks for your welcomes, everyone! Duece is kind of shy so he hid around a curve in the jar when I told him how everyone was welcoming him, but I'm sure he appreciates it anyway.
Here's a picture of Duece. It does a really good job of showing off the green shine he picked up once I put him in some clean water and a bigger container (and its still just a 1 gallon! Imagine how good he'll look once I move him into the 10 gallon and he has a whole 3 gallon to himself!). The lines that appear black in the picture are actually dark blue. Isn't he the loveliest boy!?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am betting the way he is going he ends up a copper/gold veiltail with cellophane fins and that is a great combination.  They should be ashamed of their treatment of him and think how much sooner they might sell the fish if they just fed them color enhancing food and kept them clean and beautiful. 

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY! I mean, look at what a difference JUST giving him enough clean water did! And I haven't even fed him yet. Besides which they can't even spread out their fins in those tiny cups, so customers can't see what they look like spread out. It CANNOT be that hard to create a system to keep bettas in containers big enough to keep them healthy. I think we should lock some of the people who think that this is a fine way to treat bettas into tiny glass closets for a few days and let small children bang on the glass. Maybe then they will realize that its not worth it.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He is a very nice looking one!!

It is very cruel how they treat the Bettas. I've been looking around for LFS in my area besides Petco/ Petsmart. I found one not to far from. I went in there and we looked around for the Bettas. When we found them I was appalled by what I found. They were in little 3 oz cups maybe half way filled!! Afew were dead. I lifted one of the cups on the one of the higher levels because I couldn't see them . Boy,did I pick the wrong one up. Once I saw it I stormed out of there. I was so ****. They had 2 Bettas in it!!! I said," What $@#% is wrong with these people?" I said kind of loud hoping somebody would here me. I was so mad. >

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Two Betta's! Were they alive? You should have brought that to their attention immediately.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is so terrible... >

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh Duece is gorgeous! Ooo I'm so jealous!

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Duece is definitely a cutie! Welcome to the forum!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I would've brought it to there attention, but if I had even approached the guy I probably would've said something totally inappropriate & I didn't want to do that, so I just left. I think the guy was standing behind me when I did say that comment. When I get mad about something I'm not a very friendly person and at times even rude , so that's why I did what I did. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Deuce is such a pretty Betta! (err, ahem, I mean very handsome and manly looking) ;D

Natalie, that's so horrible how that store kept their Bettas. That makes me mad...at least if they insist on keeping Bettas in cups make them big and clean with ONE Betta per cup, DUUH! >

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
**strangles people who put more than one betta per container > **. Glad everyone thinks Duece is as pretty as I think he is. ;D ! He has a nice big bubble nest going atm, so I would say he really likes his new home, small though it may be.

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
emilai you truly have a beautiful Betta there! He looks magical in his coloring and fins. I'm soo happy that you rescued him. Deuce was just adopted into a very large family of fish and Betta too. How nice for him!

Nice to meet you emilai Welcome Deuce!! Zen could see your pic as I looked at it. He's jealous, lol.

Natalie I've been meaning to post what my b/f and I saw at Walmart not long ago. Will start a new thread. Same as what you saw and a lil worse if you can imagine...

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to take a picture of Duece in his cup before I put him in the big jar, but I couldn't stand to leave him in there for the extra minute or two that it would have taken to get the picture under the very best circumstances. I had to add some water so that he could actually swim. I don't regret not taking the picture, but it would have been good documentation for how horrible they are to their fish.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, don't worry, I don't think any visual aids are necessary to document the absolutely apalling circumstances some stores keep their fish in. > In fact I'm sure none of us would have wanted to see it... :'(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom