Introducing CO2 - Would This Work?

wolfdog01
So I am getting more interested in CO2 for my plants. I looked at the Fluval kits but they didn't get the best reviews. So I found a DIY method I would like to try, it's the single bottle one. I have a 20 gal long, betta, two nerites, HOB filter, and the temp is around 80 (heater is set to 78, Florida is just hot lol).
I have Anacharis that I got about a month ago. Bright green new growth, and today I did a huge trim and took out almost all of the dying plants, breaking off the new growth and letting it float (hopefully it lives lol). I dose Flourish on Saturdays, after water changes on Sundays I dose again. I have a Finnex LED razor thin that is on from 8am-8pm.

I am following this guide:

I plan on changing out the bottle on the first of every month, which is also when I rinse my filter and replace the Indian almond leaf and the cuttlebone. Not worried about CO2 fluctuations, I don't have a high tech tank so this is just a little something I am doing to help the plants out.

Should I be okay with all of this? My main concern is overdosing on CO2 but I've read that can be hard to do with DIY systems.

I am VERY new to this so any advice or input is welcome!
1527712632045.jpg

Fanatic
Yes, that should work!
Creative Pet Keeping also made a nice thread on this too, it's worth checking it out.
I am going to build my own co2 myself, I am starting a small planted tank

wolfdog01
Oh I saw her video on it! That was my first time seeing a single bottle one and it got me so excited lol

Fanatic
Oh I saw her video on it! That was my first time seeing a single bottle one and it got me so excited lol

Yeah, me too!
I will be doing a slightly smaller bottle though, it's only 2.5 gallons.

wolfdog01
Good luck! Hope it works out

Fanatic
Good luck! Hope it works out

Thanks
Here's a little tip for you.
IME, Anacharis will actually struggle more at a high temperature. I had mine at 79 and it rotted off in no more than a week. You almost want to keep it at lower temperatures, some people have had success with it in a betta's tank, but not me.

wolfdog01
Oh yeah, trust me, I read all about that lol I got my first batch from Petco, they kept the tank at 74....the three bushels I got melted within a week and a half. I went out to Gainsville and found a really nice fish store. They keep the building at 80 (so they wouldn't have a hundred heaters lol) and had a tank full of the plants! So I got three bushels from there about a month ago and so far so good! Gonna keep my fingers crossed lol

Fanatic
Oh yeah, trust me, I read all about that lol I got my first batch from Petco, they kept the tank at 74....the three bushels I got melted within a week and a half. I went out to Gainsville and found a really nice fish store. They keep the building at 80 (so they wouldn't have a hundred heaters lol) and had a tank full of the plants! So I got three bushels from there about a month ago and so far so good! Gonna keep my fingers crossed lol

Great! Good luck

wolfdog01
I am a little worried though, could I run this at night? If not, do I just unscrew the cap and let all of it out? It's placed near my HOB filter so I don't know if that will make a difference. I can take pics of the set up in the tank if need be.
Still worried about overdose but oxygen isn't too important in my tank I guess. I got a betta who I know breaths air and if the snails need it they have a little over an inch of glass up top.

DoubleDutch
Get a second one so no dirty stuff will be pushed in your tank.

wolfdog01
What do you mean by dirty stuff?

DoubleDutch
I assume your going to use oat / yeast aso? It will start to foam and that stuff will be pushed into your tank. A second bottle in between will secure that.

wolfdog01
I did not know that! Never heard of that with videos and tutorials. I've heard of a vinegar and baking soda mixture, I think that was it, would that be any less of a mess?

DoubleDutch
DIY CO2 Recipe

wolfdog01
Now I'm just imagining the set up but in a 50 gallon barrel or a big water jug...wonder how long that would last.

DoubleDutch
Now I'm just imagining the set up but in a 50 gallon barrel or a big water jug...wonder how long that would last.
depends on the mixture.

wolfdog01
Got it set up today. Not the smallest bubbles but if I need to get a proper diffuser I will. Right now it's just a bit of cotton, didn't like how the airstone did.
1527875584063.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
kayaker241
Replies
Views
KyleeAndComet