Introducing Atlantis

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well I finally decided on a name, and after a suggested 'theme' I've decided Atlantis will be this guy's name. Sadly he's not the most photogenic, but it does work - of all the pictures I got of him though, this is the best one I was able to get, and it doesn't do him any sort of justice. I suppose he's still in the whole 'Where the heck did all this space come from?' stage, he really isn't swimming around a whole lot yet. Is this normal?

Also after putting him under some fluorescent lighting, it's amazing the colours I missed on him before - let alone some that were very subtle before are standing out like crazy now. The red in his fins REALLY stands out as you can see in the picture.

34.jpg

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
is that one of those triangulor 1gals? if so that could be your problem, fish swim more when they have more room.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you mean he's not photogenic? He's gorgeous!    It's a good photo. At least 99.9% of my pics are blurry unrecognizable blobs.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
gammerus said:
is that one of those triangulor 1gals? if so that could be your problem, fish swim more when they have more room.
No it's a 5.5 gallon, heated and filtered.

Phloxface said:
What do you mean he's not photogenic? He's gorgeous! It's a good photo. At least 99.9% of my pics are blurry unrecognizable blobs.
Thanks, most of them turned out blurry, the only other one that didn't turned out looking like he was almost solid red, lol

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis is a good name.  Welcome Atlantis.

Don't know about not being photogenic; that's a good pic of him.  He's a good looking Betta.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, he is a very good looking Betta. That is a beautiful pic of him. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to you Atlantis!! You are very handsome and quite the young gentleman to let your daddy take such a nice picture.

He is just jumpy and getting used to his new home and it is very normal. He will get used to it soon, if he is spending all his time admiring himself in reflection all you have to do is turn the lights off for a while and let him swim away from "himself" for a while. Maybe he should have 3 or 4 short times of light for a while until he gets used to the reflection.

Alex, Blaze and JT wildly wave fins and shimmy to say welcome.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take them too long to realize how big their new home is ;D

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I came home to him on the bottom of the tank tucked away under the big plant that he's pictured with, but after spending a few minutes with him he's got to swimming around pretty good.

It's unreal his behavior to being in a bigger tank all by his lonesome, it's like he's not sure what to think of it all. He really doesn't even seem to interested in eating, he sees the little bits but just swims by them after taking a look. (Don't tell me I've got a picky eater) I'm likely going to run to the store tonight to get him some freeze dried food.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You've only had him a few day's, right? Give him time. When they move into their own mantion it someitimes takes time for them to start to eat because  they are so overwhelmed with their new home. It could sometimes take a week or more before they decide" oh wow i'm hungry I better eat something"   
                                                                      Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome Atlantis!!!!! That's a cute pic of him too.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Atlantis!!! ;D

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was able to snap another picture of Atlantis, now you can see some of his other colours. He was a little lower in the tank so the lighting was hitting him perfectly.

35.jpg

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you had gotten him from a good store, I would say you could always call and ask what they had been feeding him to find out what he was used to but I am afraid if you got a rotten store they would tell you "flake food" and bettas mouths are not usually made to eat flake food so I dread them selling you something the fish will have to work at eating. If they are picky, they could refuse to eat at all.

It really is too soon to get concerned. He has not had time to unwind and get over the shock of the move yet. Some will eat right away and others take a few days. He WILL eat though as he is not interested in starving, bettas do love to eat.

That is a very pretty picture and he is really a striking betta. Congratulations. Atlantis you are very handsome..

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is very nerve-wracking to see him just kinda doping around. Then again I never have had a betta in an aquarium before, so that's bound to have something to do with it, I'm simply not used to how they adapt to new surroundings... and it's not like they have much room to move in those little cups. He really likes to hide in those plants though, and I've been thinking of getting him a few more. I did take your advice and got him a taller plant so he can 'perch' on it at night.

Also, with a betta would you bother with aeration? I've got it set up, but it seems like it causes more grief than it's worth.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Warmer water does need an airstone as it doesn't hold oxygen as well. Also, many Bettas love to play in the bubbles. All of mine do. If you have live plants they will need some air too.
Don't worry about him not eating. Just keep trying every day. It took Phlox 5 days to eat and Lava would not eat for 10 days! Both were just fine and ate when they were ready. They won't let themselves starve. You should try giving him some of the green pea. Just make sure he sees it drop. They will instinctively chase it and eat it. One taste of pea and he'll crave it always!

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the post, but one of the members asked earlier about the need for aeration regarding Bettas, whose breathing seems more akin to that of humans.  Having wondered about that, too, I found one answer to the need for aeration while doing some reading lately.  It seems that there are metabolites that end up in the water as a result of the fish doing it's thing and which could reach toxic levels if not removed.  Aeration seems to remove some of these metabolites.  So, I guess it's not just a matter of oxygenating the water for the Betta to breathe, but to help void it's environment of some of these metabolic by-products.

Mike

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis has started to eat blood worms that I've been dropping in, although he's very hesitant to eat still - either that or just doesn't like an audience. I had been watching him eye this worm for about 15 minutes, he snatched it in his mouth and then spit it out... he stared at me for a few seconds like 'what are you doing watching me', so I covered my face acting like I couldn't see, and the little bugger ate it. Is this normal for betta's to be like this? I don't ever remember any of mine in the past being so tricky.

I also installed a new heater (Hagen Elite 50W) and I've got the water set to a nice solid 80 degrees, he's come alive since I got it to that point.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They CAN have little oddities that are just their way of being them. It sounds like you have found the one for this betta. He is shy... I think it is cute but I am not the one dealing with it so it could be a bit maddening. Just wait a while and he may get over it. They can be very funny and most individual.

Good luck and have some fun with him. He does not know you yet, he will learn.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom