Introduce Male Guppies

1. E

Eevee_7 New Member Member

Note: Before I start this thread, I would like to say that I am a beginner and have never actually posted in a forum before.

Ok, I have just finished preparing enough tanks to house my new guppies from a friend who couldn't take care of them. 5 are female and 1 is a male. (The male is pretty small; the smallest out of them in fact.) I know that once I separate the males and females, I will need to get more males since guppies are a schooling type of fish. However, I need good advice on how to introduce male guppies to each other, especially because of his size. I need to know how to introduce him to multiple other male guppies without the poor little guy being ganged up on. I will need to do this soon, as I already know one of the females is pregnant and I do not intend on breeding.

Thank you!

2. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You won't need more males. You don't want to get a bunch of males or they will harass the females to death...literally. What you have will be just fine as you will have a TON more babies than you know what to do with in short order. I have a less than 1 inch long male trying (successfully it looks like) to fertilize my females already so I'm guessing you will have babies in about a month or less.

3. OP
    OP
    E

Oh, sorry, I don't know if I mentioned that I am separating the females from the males so there will be a female tank and a male tank. If the males would harass the females to death, would they also harass each other?

4. Kellye8498

Gotcha, that's good. No, the females won't harass each other. The males harass the females because they try to breed with them until the females panic and stress and eventually die. Since the females won't be trying to mate they will be happy to hang out with each other :)

5. OP
    OP
    E

Thank you! One last question, so do you know how many male guppies I should have in the male tank? I will be monitoring 24/7 to make sure he isn't being bullied. I can't find many informative articles about stuff like this for guppies, so I appreciate your help!

6. Kellye8498

No problem! Helping is what we're here for :) As long as they are definitely males and you don't accidentally get a female in there you will be fine with whatever you get as long as you don't overstock the tank. What size tanks will they have?

7. OP
    OP
    E

I have 4 ten gallon tanks that I have set aside and prepared exclusively for my guppies. I was thinking about getting 3 males that are similar to the size and behavior of the one I have, and I will do everything I can to make sure they don't fight and live a happy and healthy life.

8. Kellye8498

That sounds like a plan. You could add plants or decorations for them and make a gorgeous tank without having to worry about saving babies from their demise lol. One of my purple nebula guppies just had a ton of babies today. I can't wait until they color up!

6a87784074fde6de7dbaad5ffd8ef5ad.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    E

Again, thank you so much for the help! Congratulations on the baby fish! :)

10. Kellye8498

You are very welcome! Thank you. Hopefully they all color up to be amazing. I'm hoping for some really bright purples!

11. OP
    OP
    E

My guppies are gray, white and orange. :) Sorry about all the questions, but do you think I should close the thread or leave it open for a little while longer?

12. Kellye8498

You can leave it open, it's no biggie. People might have something else they want to add :) If not sometimes you just find someone to talk to about a shared love of fish...like guppies lol.

13. OP
    OP
    E

Ok!