15 Gallon Tank Intro

TeachEng18

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all. I am a beginner. I have helped my daughter with a 10 gallon beginner tank. We are on round two. She had 4 GloFish the first time. This go round she has two plateys and adding 3 danios next week.
I am venturing out on my own. I acquired a 15 gallon tank (wish I would have done the 29). While my daughter is all about color, I am interested in personality. After lots of reading over the last couple weeks, I think I want the honey gourami, Pygmy corydoras, and a mystery snail.

OP
TeachEng18

TeachEng18

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would love suggestions on stocking the tank etc. I was thinking sand substrate with plants and driftwood.
The trouble I have run into in my research is I want to tell my fish apart, so shoaling and schooling could make that difficult. I thought I could have different species of corys.

Avery101

Reaction score
You could probably do a pair of honey gouramis, 5 pygmy corydoras, and 3 mystery snails and 5 or 6 celestial pearl danios. I understand your trying to tell your corys apart, but different spieces will not school together and corydoras are a schooling fish.

OP
TeachEng18

TeachEng18

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read that the Corys will shoal with other species. That’s not true? Two honeys would be cool. I thought about a dwarf, but I read a quarter of them get sick and die.

Avery101

Reaction score
TeachEng18 said:
I read that the Corys will shoal with other species. That’s not true? Two honeys would be cool. I thought about a dwarf, but I read a quarter of them get sick and die.
this is true one of my dwarf gouramis has gotten sick before from dropsy, one of the sicknesses in the symphony of sicknesses that come along with them. of course this was not at all disclosed to e when i bought him, but i have had a powder blue dwarf gourami for quite a while and never had any problems with him

Avery101

Reaction score
TeachEng18 said:
that is also true cories will shoal with other species of corys but they thrive in schools and shoaling wont do the same thing. its like having acquaintances and then having best friends.

OP
TeachEng18

TeachEng18

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Avery101 said:
this is true one of my dwarf gouramis has gotten sick before from dropsy, one of the sicknesses in the symphony of sicknesses that come along with them. of course this was not at all disclosed to e when i bought him, but i have had a powder blue dwarf gourami for quite a while and never had any problems with him
Do you think it would get along with a honey?

Avery101

Reaction score
TeachEng18 said:
Do you think it would get along with a honey?
yes, the honey gourami is a very docile fish as is FEMALE dwarf gouramis or dwarf powder blue gouramis. i strongly advise if your putting the gouramis together to do female because i have tried male dwarf gouramis together and they bullied eachother at first, then finally got their own territory and still picked on eachother, anyway i ended up splitting them up, putting one in a diff tank.

New Threads