Intestinal Worm and Guppy

1. LWormy Member Member

Hello! Recently, my guppies are developing swelling stomach, decreased to no appetite, trouble swimming, and paler body. I noticed a red string intruding from their anus I diagnosed it as intestinal worm. (camallanus worm) I am thinking about using the Panacur method which mixes panacur (a common livestock dewormer) with water and soaking bloodworm in it for the guppies to eat. The only problem is that one of my guppies are probably at a more advance stage because she refuse eating all together. I could pour the water with panacur in it, but I am not sure how well that will work. I have a 6.6 gallon tank with trapdoor snails, malaysian trumpet snails, 2 african dwarf frogs, 3 guppies, and 1 guppy fry. 2 of the guppies are showing symptoms of the disease and I can see the worm sticking out. However, one of them is still eating. The last guppy didn't show any sign but it is probably infected as well.
    1) Any idea or suggestion on how to treat them with Panacur?
    2) What should the dosage be? The drug I am using is 100% fenbendazole (panacur).
    3) How would I treat her if she wouldn't eat?

2. FiscCyning Member Member

I'm not familiar with the panacur method so I can't offer dosing advice, but especially if some of your fish aren't eating right now I would go with a different treatment for the whole tank. Praziquantel is supposed to be good for taking care of camallanus worms.

3. LWormy Member Member

I heard that they hard hard on guppy and snails, so I would rather not do that. There had been multiple reports about the worm gaining immunity against praziquantel.

4. FiscCyning Member Member

Ah okay, I didn't know that about its effect on guppies. Hopefully someone will be along soon that knows about the panacur. Good luck!

5. LWormy Member Member

Thanks! I REALLY need help right now. The Panacur was ordered today and is suppose to come the day after tomorrow. One of my female guppy isn't eating and I am scared that I will lose her.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A lot of discus keepers use Kusuri wormer, not sure of the effect on guppies would be worth a google to find out

7. LWormy Member Member

Can anyone answer my question on the first post? This is really urgent because one of my guppy isn't eating amd don't do that well.

Is anyone looking at this? Somebody? Hellooooooooooooo!

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tried googling fenbendazole?
    I have & found varying dosages but all seem to be in agreement it should be dosed in food, have a look for yourself & decide what to do.

9. LWormy Member Member

I did took a look but I don't know how to administer it to my guppy who won't eat! I found the dosage but they are all different.

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You may be better using the kusuri I mentioned, I believe that can be used in the water column

11. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

LWormy, i'm so sorry you're dealing with this :( I have never personally dealt with callamanus worms, but know they are a nasty nematode to treat. From my knowledge, the dewormer must be ingested for it to be effective. Panacaur is fenbendazole, do not dose with your inverts inside your tank, they will pass. As far as dosing, in food, its a little different than in the water column, I cant find my ledger with my notes of milligram amounts per gallon when using fenben (this came from a breeder), when I do, i'll edit my thread.

Dont confuse flubendazole which is in the discus treatment recommended by Coradee and also used in humans, with fenbendazole licensed for only vet used.

12. LWormy Member Member

I can't get my hand on anything except tetra parasite guard a]or panacur. right now i only have panacur. It is fenbendazole not flubenddazole. I dosed my fish today using the bloodworm as a carrier. All my fish readily ate it except for the heavily infected female guppy. She went for the food and sucked on it but spit it out. I added garlic juice to the bloodworm so it don't taste gross. Do you think that the female got enough medicine to make a difference? My fries are starting to poop out weird red/brown string out of their anus so I think that might be the worm. Any thoughts on that?

13. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry LWormy, my ledger is still lost since we moved furniture around to have our carpets cleaned :(

The Panacur should help rid some of the nematodes, hopefully she expels some and is able to eat more.

14. LWormy Member Member

I just checked on them but they look no better. :( These stupid worms are still intruding out of their anus. What should I do? How long does it take for the med to go into effect?

15. FiscCyning Member Member

I wouldn't be too worried if you just treated them today, as it likely won't kill all the worms instantaneously. I know with dogs the dewormers take 24-48 hours to work. Checking the packaging for the panacur might at least give you an idea of the time expectation, although this obviously will not be exactly the same for fish.

Has your research into this method indicated that a single dose is sufficient or that it needs multiple doses? Again, my only experience with dewormers like that is in dogs and horses, but in those animals it. Takes a few doses to catch all life-stages of the worms. I'm not sure if this is the same when using panacur with fish though.

16. LWormy Member Member

My research said that i have to feed them twice a day for 7 days than skip 3 weeks than feed them 7 days again. It never say how fast it kill them. Since i can see the worm, can I just pull those little demons out with a tweezer?

17. FiscCyning Member Member

A week long dosing period means the worms won't die immediately but will need this extended exposure to the meds. Some of the worms will probably die before the end of the week (their maturity and other factors can affect their sensitivity to the dewormer). The second dosing period after the break is to catch any worms that survived as eggs and have since hatched.

I really would not suggest removing the worms physically. You can easily do more damage to the fish by forcibly removing the worm. Also, this will only "treat" the worms that are externally visible and will not guarantee that the fish are now worm-free.

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh no, I'm so sorry you and your fish have to deal with this. :(

Take into consideration that I have never dealt with this issue.
    This info is only what I have witnessed others go through and treat on the forum as well as referencing Manual of Fish Health.

I'm sure you have done a ton of reading but I'm going to give you more.
    (Just what you wanted right?)
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/83981-camallanus-worms.html

The information in those links coincide with the treatment method (Levamisole) in the book.
    It also indicates this medication could be absorbed from the water by the fish.

Scary thing, this nematode. It can be passed through generations and through the water column making it really really important not to cross contaminate between tanks via nets, siphons or any other thing that come in contact with the water from the infected tank.

This is one of those illnesses that can easily be missed during a two week Q time.
    I forget what the amount of time is off hand. Months, I believe.

My info is not to discount any of the above posters especially if they had luck treating with the medication recommended.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Agreed. The worms hang on to the insides of the fish with spiney things that could easily tear the fish.

19. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Kusuri (Flubendazole) is powerfull dewormer but it is not advised to use it on snails as itgoing to kill them

20. LWormy Member Member

You, my friend, might've saved my fish.

I contacted the seller for levamisole so hopefully he will response before it's too late. Now I am doing daily water changes in case there are any worms in the gravel and feeding the medicated bloodworm with garlic 2x a day. I just fed my fish again and the small heavily infected female is still not eating anything. I am hoping that the panacur in the water will be absorbed and kill the worm. Most people say the worm will die in about 2 days, so I guess I'll have to wait. I soak frozen bloodworm in a little bowl with garlic juice and 100% fenbendazole powder for 30 minutes and I dump the whole thing in my 6.6 gallon guppy tank. I removed the frogs and the snails to a smaller tank so they won't be effected. Any thoughts on the way I am treating the disease? Are there any better ways.