Interspecies Shoaling

1. arriflex

arriflex Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do corys concern themselves with other species of corys when shoaling or feeling confident and comfortable in general?

We currently have 3 emeralds, however research indicates they like to be in 5+. The question is will it have to be more emeralds or could other sub-species work?

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +17
    The same species is best, but they'll group up with whatever is available. At least that's what I've seen with mine.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Always get them in groups of 6+ of their own kind
    Emeralds you usually see in Lfs are not actually corys, they're Brochis Splendens a sub species.
    They won't always school with other kinds & you'll see more natural behaviour if kept in single species groups

4. OP
    OP
    arriflex

arriflex Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We've got 3, plan to add 3 more. I think they are a little intimidated by the Serpae which tend to swim in the mid to lower part of the tank.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,812
    They should be more bold once you get 3 more emeralds, safety in numbers :)

6. OP
    OP
    arriflex

arriflex Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope so. I also need to look into the Serpae situation more. The LFS said they would be fine in a community tank- they are good with the neons but are pricks to the Cory's. Some people say more serpae will keep them screwing with each other- others say that just makes them even bigger bullies. YMMV I guess.