Interspecies Shoaling

1. arriflex Initiate Member

Do corys concern themselves with other species of corys when shoaling or feeling confident and comfortable in general?

We currently have 3 emeralds, however research indicates they like to be in 5+. The question is will it have to be more emeralds or could other sub-species work?

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The same species is best, but they'll group up with whatever is available. At least that's what I've seen with mine.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Always get them in groups of 6+ of their own kind
    Emeralds you usually see in Lfs are not actually corys, they're Brochis Splendens a sub species.
    They won't always school with other kinds & you'll see more natural behaviour if kept in single species groups

4. arriflex Initiate Member

We've got 3, plan to add 3 more. I think they are a little intimidated by the Serpae which tend to swim in the mid to lower part of the tank.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They should be more bold once you get 3 more emeralds, safety in numbers :)

6. arriflex Initiate Member

I hope so. I also need to look into the Serpae situation more. The LFS said they would be fine in a community tank- they are good with the neons but are pricks to the Cory's. Some people say more serpae will keep them screwing with each other- others say that just makes them even bigger bullies. YMMV I guess.