Interpret my pH reading.

Discussion in 'pH' started by flyin-lowe, Mar 27, 2010.

1. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I am having a hard time figuring out my pH reading from my API test kit. When I use the standard pH it is the blue that indicates 7.2 or higher. When I go to the high range test I get a pink color that is not really close to any other colors on the chart. My well water test 7.4 on the high range kit and 7.2 on the standard kit. I have some rocks in my tank which I understand can raise my pH but I also have three very large pieces of driftwood. The date on my kit is January 2010.

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How strange! I've never seen that color before.

Is that a fresh test? How long did it sit before reading it?

Let's see what somebody else has to say.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    f

Yes the test is fresh. I didn't let it sit (I don't think you have to wait 5 minutes for the pH test). I have tested it several times over the last week and am getting the same results. When I test my tap water I am getting a readable result so I think the test itself is good. I am going to send the pic to API on Monday and see what they say. I thought about sending a water sample to a lab here in town if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My brother in law used to work there so I will see if he still has any friends there.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sending a pic to API is a good idea. Please let us know what they say. Thanks
    Carol

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the pH section of the forum. Very odd color I must say. I'll be looking forward to seeing what API has to say. Did you add 5 drops of the chemical to the tube?
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    f

Yes, 5 drops as per the instructions.
    I have a couple of rocks in my tank that I think are lime stone. Did I read somewhere that these will raise pH or did I dream that up? Right now they are holding down a piece of driftwood but I think I am going to clean up some other rocks I have around and replace the limestone with them.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,
    Yes, limestone can raise your pH levels.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    f

Does anybody have an email address for API. I went to there webpage and they have a place were you can enter your email address and they are supposed to get back with you. I did this last week and haven't heard anything. I know some members on here have sent them emails.
    Thanks

9. OP
    OP
    f

I finally got a response from API but it wasn't much. They told me to check the expiration date on my kit. It was manufactured in 2010 so I know its good. I tested the pH today and I got a darker purple, looked like 8.4. I am now wandering if I was between the 8.2 and 8.4. If you look at the chart in my picture the 8.2 is a brown/burgandy color and the 8.4 is purple. Maybe the pink is between the 2. I don't know. I am still trying to figure out what is raising my pH so high. I am hoping I can get it down a little to make it easier on the fish in the future. I tested my GH and it is almost 0 so I think I had been told in the past that low GH levels can cause swings in pH.

10. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

You may be thinking of KH, rather than GH... low KH can make your tank more susceptible to pH swings, but low KH doesn't cause pH swings.

11. OP
    OP
    f

My bad. I know my GH is between 0-2 with a Sera brand liquid test kit. I don't have a kit for KH though. I knew one of them made the tank susceptible to pH swings. Bad choice of words on my part.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice