2 dwarf gouramis
2 black neon tetras
2 bloodfin tetra,
1 gold skirt tetra
1 black skirt tetra
1 neon tetra
1 clown pleco
12 olive nerite snails

My platys started getting white stringy poops a couple weeks ago, and I just noticed my gouramis are getting it too. They're all eating fine and acting normal. I'm reading that it's probably some sort of parasite but I'm stumped on which medication to get. I've read that apI general cure may be the best to give as it has both of the active ingredients in prazI and metro...and prazipro is effective against one type of parasite and metro another, so if general cure combines the two wouldn't that be the best route, as I have no way to tell what parasite it is? Also, Is it safe for my pleco and snails?

Thanks for the help!

Lucyn

I have a 30 gallon tank. Parameters are
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
8 ph
78*F

Stocked with:
3 platys
2 dwarf gouramis
2 black neon tetras
2 bloodfin tetra,
1 gold skirt tetra
1 black skirt tetra
1 neon tetra
1 clown pleco
12 olive nerite snails

My platys started getting white stringy poops a couple weeks ago, and I just noticed my gouramis are getting it too. They're all eating fine and acting normal. I'm reading that it's probably some sort of parasite but I'm stumped on which medication to get. I've read that apI general cure may be the best to give as it has both of the active ingredients in prazI and metro...and prazipro is effective against one type of parasite and metro another, so if general cure combines the two wouldn't that be the best route, as I have no way to tell what parasite it is? Also, Is it safe for my pleco and snails?

Thanks for the help!
It's nearly impossible to tell what kind of internal parasite you may have, unless you have a extremely expensive microscope! Whenever I have a fish with internal parasites, I typically use General Cure and Prazipro, eliminates 99% of any parasite they may have. I always just deworm any new fish I get right away, as a pre-treatment, it's a good practice for QTing in the future Make sure you have plenty of aeration in your tank when medicating. And those two medicines should be safe for snails and Pleco's, up to my knowledge, considering I've used it having both. Also, make sure to at least do two runs of the medicine, which each course is 5-7 days. All that white poop will be recycled throughout your fishes systems once another fish eats it, along with the eggs. The multiple cycles of the medication will ensure it's gone for good. I always thought 2-3 is more than adequate, some people say more.

Andybill

Thank you Lucyn!

Are you saying to use general cure and prazI in conjunction for at least 2 rounds, OR do one round with general, then anther round with prazi?

If in conjunction, do you do the full dosage for each according to the directions? Isn't praziquantel an ingredient in general cure?

Lucyn

Thank you Lucyn!

Are you saying to use general cure and prazI in conjunction for at least 2 rounds, OR do one round with general, then anther round with prazi?

If in conjunction, do you do the full dosage for each according to the directions? Isn't praziquantel an ingredient in general cure?
Multiple runs of either or both, like multiple full treatments. Depending on the severity, you can do both or one, sorry for confusion. General Cure does I'm pretty sure contain Prazi, I never actually looked at he main ingredients., but it's also good to use two different medications for best results. Sometimes I'll use Salt and Prazi, Salt and General Cure, or if there's a bacterial/fungal disease Erythromycin and Methylene blue/salt etc. And yes, full doses of each. It's kinda like you should never feed the same foods everyday, you should always use different brands, different styles etc. Maybe there's one thing PrazI gets that GC doesn't etc.

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site.

Andybill

Update, after treatment with general cure, everyone seems to be having normal poop. However, a new ailment has afflicted one of the black mollies. Yesterday I noticed one of his eyes had white fluff hanging off of it. And the other eye looks swollen. Upon further inspection I noticed he has several white spots on him. I moved him to QT and treated with 1.5 tsp in 4 gallons of Epsom salt to help the swelling. This morning the fluff is still there but the swelling is a little less. I did a 50% WC in the main tank, even though the parameters were still good. I can't tell the difference between the orange color for nitrate, it was either 20 or 40, but is now 10 after the WC.

The white spots look like it could be ich, but the thing is, one of my platys 6 months ago had these same white spots that never went away after keeping the temp at 86* for over a month. They eventually went away on their own several weeks after turning the temp back down to 78.

Currently, the one black molly is the only one presenting these white spots, just like 6 months ago the platy was the only one that had them. I'd hate to put them thru the stress of more heat unnecessarily.

Could you please look at these pics and advise what treatment should be?
You must be registered to see images

Andybill

So another update this evening.

I noticed a platy and cherry barb started flashing on the pool sand substrate and the driftwood. Also tonight the QT'd molly has developed a noticeable amount of new white spots... looks like the described grains of salt sprinkled on the body. So I guess it is ich after all.

None of the othery fish have white spots yet, but I understand that flashing can indicate that it's in their gills unnoticeable. So I decided to put the QT'd molly back in main tank and treat everyone for ich. I'm in the process up cranking up the heat now. I set it to 81 and will turn it up a little more in the morning and then again when I get home from work.

Is there anything else I can do ATM to ensure swift recovery? The molly's popeye has gotten quite a bit better with the epsom salt treatment in Qt, but it's still not back to normal eye size. It also looks like the white fuzz is mostly gone and has just turned into a cloudy eye.

If his eyes start swelling again, would it be ok for the other fish to treat with epsom salt (I did half tsp per gallon in the QT)

Andybill

So, just one day after raising the temp, there are no more white spots on the Molly.
Can they disappear that fast? He probably had 10 or so spots on his entire body, looked like he was very lightly sprinkled with salt. Is that ich or something else? I noticed the one platy still flashed a couple times this morning... I hope it's not something else...
Just checked the parameters and all still good.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
8 pH

He still has the one cloudy eye, but they've both returned to normal size. Could that be a fungus that I still need to treat with meds?

Andybill

So this is day 7 since I first noticed the black molly with the funky eyes and white spots on his body. He had been acting normal the last few days, but this evening he has been chilling in the same spot for a couple hours and the white fluff is back on his eyes.

I'm currently treating for ich by keeping the temp at 86 deg. Is there anything else I can do for him? Please help.

Andybill

Maybe I should start a new thread? The molly guy is up and moving again today but still has the swollen eyes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smoothmf
Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
Ebster56
Replies
Views