Internal Parasites?!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by vinsgirl, Apr 10, 2017.

1. vinsgirl

vinsgirl Valued Member Member

HELP, I think my one discus has internal parasites. What do I do? He had a long thickish see-throughy poop this morning. He doesn't look sick really although his behavior not 100%spot on. Bare in mind that I'm in South Africa and we are battling to find decent medicine here

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. rajika4ever

rajika4ever New Member Member

If you really can't find medicine get some garlic and cut it into little pieces and chop it.

Take half a cup of water and add your fish food to into that and add chopped garlic into that too.

Wait around ten minutes until fish food absorb garlic. After ten minutes feed him.

Do this until he looks healthy.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Altough garlic does boost their inmune system it will not necessarily solve the problem.
    Usually Discus are quarantined and treated with metronidazole, their food is mixed with the medicine and fed to the fish. (The rate given to me in this forums was 40 grs of Metronidazole per each kilogram of food)
    If the fish do not eat then the metronidazole is added into the water. All that has been suggested to me is to add 250 mg of metronidazole per 10 gals. You disolve the medicine first, add some lemon juice, mix it well and add it to the tank. The lemon tip was given to be by a farmacologist that also keeps fish, he told me that the lemon interacts with the metronidazole and disolves it in the water way better than it is commonly disolved. (Metronidazole kind of disolves poorly in water)
    Metronidazole treats for most internal parasites but you may need to use something stronger like Levamisole. There is this Jungle Lab anti parasitic that contains it.
    I would be pretty surprised if you cant get Metronidazole, it is a great med, works great for what it is supposed to work with and it is pretty hard to overdose on it. I think you need to overdose 8 times or more to kill the fish.

4. rajika4ever

He might not able to find medicine in his country. I am not pretty much sure how garlic works but when my glofish had internal parasitise i used garlic and was able to save them all.

Even in my country Sri Lanka i tried everywhere for medicine but was not able to find it, i know we can order online but for here delivery takes 15 to 25 days, so it might too late.

5. BeanFish

Most parasites dont want their host to die because if the host dies they die. So most of the time fish have internal parasites but are able to keep them at a bearable level by themselves. When something stresses them, like tankmates or bad water quality their inmune system stops doing its job as it should and internal parasites start taking over, that is where you see fish acting lethargic, not eating etc...
    Garlic is well known to boost the inmune system of fish, so that together with whatever stressed them dissapearing makes some fish be able to recover, and bring parasites down to a bearable level.
    However Discus are too sensitive so I would rather treat them with metronidazole than try to get them to fight it off. I think all pharmacies carry metronidazole, and even tho in most countries you need a recipe I dont think it is impossible to get a pharmacy to give it to you without recipe.

6. rajika4ever

Thank you for better explanation

7. OP
    OP
    vinsgirl

vinsgirl Valued Member Member

Thank you I'll try to get the men's but will do the garlic in the meantime

8. BeanFish

Good luck, make sure to tell us how it goes!

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You should be able to get Praziquantel, as it's a common antihelminthic for dogs. There are dosages for fish available online.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice