Internal Parasites? What To Do Next Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by chickennublet, Apr 15, 2018.

1. chickennubletNew MemberMember

Hey all

One of my female CPDs has stopped eating and has recently gotten quite thin and lethargic. I've noticed one of the males making white stringy poos too, although he still eats and is active.

I've just gone through one round of General Cure (2 doses with 48 hours in between, with another 48 hours after the 2 dose before adding back my purigen and changing the water) but they didn't seem to respond well to the medication at all. I'm considering praziquantel (we don't have PraziPro in my country but we do have an equivalent which have worked for local aquarists) but GC already has prazi in it so i'm not sure if I should bother with that.

Tank has been running for about 4 months now, dimensions are 60*34*30 cm. I have 6 ember tetras, 5 CPDs, 1 honey gourami and 4 cory sterbai. It is pretty heavily stocked. Other than the 2 CPDs I mentioned above none of the other fish are showing any symptoms. They get >50% WC every week. Parameters before WC are 0, 0, and either 10 or 20 (the colours are so close that I can't really tell).

I'm thinking of increasing my WC frequency for a few weeks so that they have nice, clean water but I'm wondering if I should put the female out of her misery. I would really appreciate advice as to what I should do next.

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

APIGC should do the trick. It’s 25% water change, dose the tank with the meds 1 packet = 10 US gallons. Wait 48 hours. That’s round one. Than your suppose to repeat the process again. I believe you need to do 2-3 treatments, at least for better results.

I had to treat my JD for three rounds before he was pooping brown stuff. If you only did one or two treatments it might be that your fish case is a little worse.

3. OP
    OP
    c

chickennubletNew MemberMember

Thanks Fashooga. I'll start the second round tomorrow, hopefully with more time the female will respond positively and start eating again.

4. Bermuda Triangle

Bermuda TriangleNew MemberMember

Fashooga is exactly right !! API General Cure will treat for internal parasites . It was too late for me , I lost a BN pleco before finding out about API GC . My pleco developed a bloated stomach and had white stringy poop . Classic signs of internal parasites. Even describes the symptoms right on the API GC box ! Tip - Petsmart will match Chewys online price ( almost half the in store price ) . PetsPlus will match any online price . I’ve saved so much money !!! Good Luck !

5. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks Bermuda Triangle, i'm already treating with GC. I've just started round two of GC today, so i'll be dosing a second time in 48 hours.

6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Don’t forget the water change in between treatments! Good luck.

7. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Double dose metro or triple dose it. If you raise chiclids, keep metro powder and prazi liquid wormer seperate. Invest in some metronidazole flakes (or general cure flakes)
    If its a big chiclid, sedate it take it out and squeeze metro down its throat with a turkey baster.

8. Whitewolf

9. OP
    OP
    c

Hello Whitewolf. It's a Celestial Pearl Danio so I think forcing metro down its throat is probably out of the question... she isn't eating either.

The second dose of General Cure will be in tomorrow morning after a 25% water change. If after I'm done with this second round of treatment she doesn't improve (i.e. starts eating) then in the interests of the other healthy fish I'll probably put her down with clove oil. I'll continue with one more round of GC after that.

10. Whitewolf

Oh, sorry i didnt know what CPD stood for, assumed it was some kind of chiclid
    General cure is best used in food, because metronidazole does not dissolve well in the water, if at all. Its one of the worst powder antibiotics to put in the water, so buy the General cure flake and feed that to the heatlhy ones (garlic can help them want to eat it) or mix half a packet in a bowl of food and save it in the fridge to feed 2-3 times a day.

11. OP
    OP
    c

thanks for the advice! Do you know if there is a readily available brand of flake food with metro in it?

12. Whitewolf

You have to order it online there are several sites. I cant post their site, as fishlore blocks me.

13. OP
    OP
    c

Oh is it a merchant in the US? If so I probably won't be able to get it anyway, I'm from somewhere else. I've just dumped the second round of GC and i also mixed some with their food so hopefully that will help.

14. OP
    OP
    c

hello
    no improvement from the female who was getting skinnier day by day so I've euthanised her. Yet another female appears to have stopped eating. Not sure what to do next.

the 3 other CPDs are active and eating. The male has become very deformed, his stomach has curved in and he appears to have a slightly bent back. when I first got him he was pretty much perfect. he is still appears to be eating well and is very active, hopefully the GC did the trick and he fattens up in the next couple of days since I didn't feed much during the GC treatment. Unfortunately I am swamped with bar exams this week so I can't go out to the fish stores but next week I'll probably get some praziquantel and garlic guard.

None of the other fish appear to be affected.

15. Bermuda Triangle

Bermuda TriangleNew MemberMember

I suggest you give Mark a call at Parrots of the World in Rockville Center , New York . Go to his website for more info . He is a genius with all fish , animals , birds etc. Good luck .

16. Whitewolf

Sounds like it may be Fish TB at this point, or HITH has just taken them down to no health left....

17. OP
    OP
    c

that doesn't sound good at all. the male with the curved spine is still actively swimming and eating though, which is why I thought I might see if he fills out in the next couple of days. but is worrying that another female has stopped eating. so it appears to be hex to you?

so far, 6 ember tetras, 4 cory sterbai and 1 honey gourami are all acting normally

18. Whitewolf

I would say its Hexitima and then eventual brakedown and now a bacterial infection, probably wasting tb
    Garlic to entice them to eat, if they spit out food, you may need to euthanize them or use a syringe to squeeze the metro into them
    If they get body lesions and bent spines, euthanize and PWC

19. OP
    OP
    c

In that case I will probably euthanise the male with the bent spine and the other female who has stopped eating, she has started to become lethargic as well.

I might end up euthanising the 4 CPDs tbh... the other male, no bent spine and still behaving normally but he has this whitish spot near his head (not the usual patterning you see on these danios) which I thought nothing about... but since you mentioned lesion I'm thinking that that spot might be one. Thank you.

20. Whitewolf

Try ordering some metrodainazole flake or pellet food and treat prophalactially in the future As far as TB goes, many fish can carry it until they get old or stressed The best solution to deal with that is UV light and pro-biotic food

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice