Help Internal Parasites aren't going away

Imthatpeep100

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NItrates: 20ppm (the betta tank is almost 40ppm, but I'm working on it)
Nitrites: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Temperature: 80F

I have a two tanks. 10 gallon with 1 betta and 20 gallon with 1 betta and ~10 pencil fish (I haven't been able to count more, but I originally had 13 and for sure found one dead body). I have been treating with prazipro for the past two weeks. Use the medication for three days, 50% water change to vacuum the substrate and dose again to repeat the next three days. Last time I dosed aquarium salt but I do not think that did much. One at a time, each of my pencil fish are getting a sucken stomach and floating at the surface before they disappear or what I assume is die (and I do have pest snails that work as my clean up crew). My betta isn't doing that much better. Will not gain any weight.

The betta in the 20 gallon seems uneffected and it only seems that 1 pencil fish at a time is getting a sucken stomach...

I am not a fan of prazipro as the last time I had it, I do not think it did anything for my puffers but someone urged me to use prazipro for my fish and my hopes are not high... I have not succeed internal parasites as I only had them once before. I just really need help on getting rid of them...

*And for further context on how I think my fish got them in the first place, I left for a three week trip and instructed my pet sitter how to do water changes. I physically showed them how, and I came back to tanks that were evaporated and extremely high in nitrates. The only tank that didn't evaporate was one I have cycling and I told her to top it off... of course that one was topped off -_- Definitely done with family friends helping... hopefully I do not need to leave for more than a week

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I Would wait for more experienced people to answer the medicine question but I’m curious do you quarantine the sick fish? If you don’t and you start doing it then you may be able to contain the sickness

OP
Imthatpeep100

Imthatpeep100

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jkkgron2 said:
I Would wait for more experienced people to answer the medicine question but I’m curious do you quarantine the sick fish? If you don’t and you start doing it then you may be able to contain the sickness
For further context, I had the 20 gallon set up for nearly 1 year before moving my betta into it. A couple months later, I obtained three pencil fish that I quarantined for 1 month. No issues came up so I put them in the 20g. Another few months later, they came into stock again so I got 10 more and quarantined for 1 month again. No issues so I added them. About two months pass and I have to leave. No issues except the betta in the 10 gallon got unexpected popeye (and I still do not know what caused it since his nitrates were only 30 around the time and no bacteria or fungal medicine helped it). Around this time, I left for three weeks and came back to these two tanks with internal parasites. I didn't notice a problem probably until a week I was back that my 10 gallon betta was getting skinner and that 1 pencil fish had a sucken in stomach (and it's hard to monitor fish that have a bunch of plants to hide in). It's a mystery to me how parasites got in since I quarantined and monitored just like I would with all my tanks... I still think it was because of the nitrate spikes I got when the tanks weren't changed for three weeks

I am not going to bother quaranting any of the fish now since I bet all of them are already affected and I have back up filters if I end up using any meds that can harm my bacteria

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom