29 Gallon Tank Internal filter placement

justinleeldn

I am using an internal filter in a 105 litre tank. I currently have the filter submerged, about two inches below the water level. See attached pic.

I have since heard that internal filters work better if you place them nearer to the bottom of the tank. Is this true? I have a lot of fish in my tank, so my reasoning for placing the pump near top the top, is so the surface of the water can be agitated more, thus creating more oxygen for the fish.

Everything seems fine as it is, but i'm wondering if placing the filter nearer to the substrate would be of more benefit?

Thanks!

Attachments

Heron

It's a tricky question. Having the inlet to the filter lower down may help remove a dead spot at the bottom of the tank but having the outlet higher up will increase surface agitation this will increase aeration. So it's whether you want better filtration or aeration. If your current set up isn't having problems I wouldn't change it, If it isn't broke don't fix it.
If you have fish that sometimes need some still water then a dead spot lower in the tank may be advantageous so in this case a filter near the top would be better.

justinleeldn

Heron said:
It's a tricky question. Having the inlet to the filter lower down may help remove a dead spot at the bottom of the tank but having the outlet higher up will increase surface agitation this will increase aeration. So it's whether you want better filtration or aeration. If your current set up isn't having problems I wouldn't change it, If it isn't broke don't fix it.
If you have fish that sometimes need some still water then a dead spot lower in the tank may be advantageous so in this case a filter near the top would be better.
I'm with you on the, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I'm not having any problems, and since my tank is heavily stocked I think the surface agitation is required. On the other hand, I have quite a few plants in the aquarium, which will also be supplying oxygen. It's a tricky one, but for now, i'm inclined to leave it as i'm not having problems with cloudy/green water. I'm doing a 20-25% weekly water change, which i'm even considering taking this to every two weeks. The only thing making me do this weekly is the fact i have so many fish, meaning more waste. I've read so many different things online, it's hard to know what is best.

Heron

justinleeldn said:
I'm with you on the, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I'm not having any problems, and since my tank is heavily stocked I think the surface agitation is required. On the other hand, I have quite a few plants in the aquarium, which will also be supplying oxygen. It's a tricky one, but for now, i'm inclined to leave it as i'm not having problems with cloudy/green water. I'm doing a 20-25% weekly water change, which i'm even considering taking this to every two weeks. The only thing making me do this weekly is the fact i have so many fish, meaning more waste. I've read so many different things online, it's hard to know what is best.
I would continue with weekly water changes. Apart from keeping nitrates down water changes also replenish trace elements and minerals and help maintain the KH which is nesicary to ensure a stable pH. I've never heard of problems from too many water changes but there are loads of issues from too few. Problems can occur with big water changes so 20-25% weekly is preferable to 40-50% per fortnight.

justinleeldn

Heron said:
I would continue with weekly water changes. Apart from keeping nitrates down water changes also replenish trace elements and minerals and help maintain the KH which is nesicary to ensure a stable pH. I've never heard of problems from too many water changes but there are loads of issues from too few. Problems can occur with big water changes so 20-25% weekly is preferable to 40-50% per fortnight.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think the weekly water changes are best.

Top Bottom