Internal filter intake - too big for shrimp? Ideas on modification?

ninetyinone

Hi all, I purchased an aquarium with the attached internal filter. It works great and even has a heater compartment which keeps everything streamlined. My problem is that I'm keen to add some shrimp to the tank. Ramshorn poop is just so big! Should I be concerned that the intake is too big and will suck them up? What's the best way to modify it that won't be too clunky?

The only thing I've come up with is placing a stainless steel mesh guard, or even cut out some fine foam and put it on the inside of filter on the opposite site of where the slits are, to stop them from being sucked up. This means I won't have to tie anything, use rubber bands etc. Would that work? I know it'll likely require more regular cleaning as things get clogged up but I'm okay with that. I just don't want to come home and see shrimp stuck to the side of the filter because they were too big to be sucked up but not strong enough to free themselves!

Thanks in advance for the help!

1613199045413.png

grac3

i think the mesh guard or foam would work, foam sounds better since there are no tiny holes for their legs to be sucked through. or do both!

Upvote 0

ninetyinone

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
Magua