Internal Filter Good Enough For 50 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Megan33, May 21, 2019.

1. Megan33 New Member Member

My tank has an internal filter for 50 US gallons. Is this sufficient for the tank?

2. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Need to know what filter it is to know if its good enough

3. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

Need to know how big the tank is too.

4. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Missed that one I thought it was 50gal

5. Megan33 New Member Member

The tank is juwel 190 trigon aquarium.
    Juwel bioflow 3.0 filter.

Attached Files:

6. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

Looks like about a 50 gallon tank with 158 gph filter if I did my math right. You should have about 400 - 500 gph filter for best results.

Fixed the math. ;-)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  7. Megan33 New Member Member

Ok, good to know. What is the downsides to having an external filter which isnt doing the best job?

8. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

OK, you asked...

The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. All manufactures rate their pumps at the head level only. This means their ratings do not include head pump lift (canisters typically 3 feet), filter media baskets, filter media itself, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar. All this alone will reduce the flow by at least 25% right out of the box.

Now add all your media which is jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, hard media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. This adds another 25% reduction. So now you have a 50% restriction in water flow. Which now leaves you at 2x your flow rate and you need 4x to run correctly. This is why you should get a filter with at least 8x-10x flow rate (manufactures spec) because of this 50% reduction will bring you to the 4x recommended flow. Canister filters hold more media than a HOB, they can have a little less flow if you want (5x-6x) but 8x will cover both types of filters. Always best to have slower water flow over your media than more, so the water stays in contact with the media longer to promote maximum bacteria growth and still keeps good water movement in your tank.

9. Megan33 New Member Member

Very informative!
    So how will this affect my fish? I test water everyday, which always comes back great. I'm awaiting 2 orandas and as you know they are messy fish. I'm abit worried. Im waiting for a oxyplus Co2 air diffuser pump. Will this help abit?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
  10. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

Don't know. Why would having that tank and filter affect your fish? Seams all is fine. Are you saying you want to add an additional filter or change the one you have? Need to tell us what your intentions are.

11. Megan33 New Member Member

I won't be adding another filter...
    The advice given seems my filter isn't as sufficient as it could be. The fish I have and am expecting are babies, but as they get bigger I will move them to another tank. Through what I've learnt today, I'm going to make sure I check the new tank has a better filter which turns over more water. Orandas get quite big and are messy so I want them in the best water quality possible. Thanks guys.
    (Sorry about the curse word)

12. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

OK. However it's probably best to buy the tank separate of your filter. Therefore you can size the filter which best fits that new tank.

13. Megan33 New Member Member

I will definitely keep that in mind.

14. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

you can add a 2nd filter. i like running 2 filters in my tanks. more turnover rate, more biomedia.

15. Megan33 New Member Member

I wouldn't like running 2 on one tank.
    But I will make sure to get a really good one for my next tank, which is 450l.