Internal Filter Above Or Below Water Line

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mumble62, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mumble62New MemberMember

I have had tanks for a number of years but recently I saw a friend who has set up a tank..she was told to put her Internal filter above the water line..eg the motor /spray bar part.. so that only the media part is under the water..I must admit I have never been told or heard of this..surley the motor will over heat n burn out..anyone please?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

As far as I know an internal needs to be kept underwater to cool the motor. Cut down on spray and splashing too.

3. Mumble62New MemberMember

Thats what I assumed to..but she is adamant she is right..oh well she will be replacing her filter a few times then
    lol

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

It does depend on the filter itself. Some are fine to be kept a little above the water line, especially filters for turtle tanks.

5. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

It depends on where the impeller assembly is located and how the water is drawn into it, in relation to the water line.

If the internal filter is flowing water while above the water line, it must be fine.

Maybe it was recommend the spray bar could be elevated, so the agitation on the surface of the water from the streams will increase the gas exchange of o2/co2.

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

do you know which brand and model your friend has?

i have the Fluval U3 and Tetra 20i. both of them have the impeller/motor at the bottom. and if they were above the water line, it wouldn't be able to suck up the water.

7. Mumble62New MemberMember

No idea what make it is but the top part has the impeller