Interesting...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Akari_32, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Got these test strips at lowes for the giggles (90% off, so I figured why not). I don't know if they are bad, or if my tanks and ponds don't require the work I thought they did @.@

Left to right: 6 gallon, 10 gallon, 20 gallon, 65 gallon, 150 gallon.

The tests:

No ammonia, and useless alakaniity and hardness, but whatever. How the tests appear on the label is how they appear on the strips (so, top to bottom).

All tanks show 0 nitrate, exept the 20 long, which is kind of weird. Why would it be out of whack? It's cleaned every 2 weeks (plants enable me to slack off) and feeding is strictly monitored. It just barely shows a hint of pink though, so whatever, I guess. Lil' extra water change will make it all better.

All tanks, even the ponds, show 0 nitrite. It's to be expected from the tanks, as they are packed full of plants, but the ponds have a single lily, which have gone dormant for the winter, and honestly, I hardly ever get around to water changes on them (in my defense, it's been cold lately, so feeding has been reduced, and many times they don't need to be fed these days due to the cold temps, and it's been raining a lot, so why give them yucky city water when they can have rain water). However, the algea in both are rediculous. I can't see the fish unless they are near the surface. Perhaps that's why show 0....?

Hardness is an even 150 in all of them. Don't know anything about hardness, so no comments there.

Alkalinity is all over the board, and the tie dye effect on them doesn't do me any good at all. Besides that, it's not something i care about or know about.

PH is a little crazy as well, coming in at 5.5 (the lowest possible reading) or lower in the 6 and 20 gallons, 6.5-7 on the 10, 7 on the 65 gallon pond (recently got a large water change in an attempt to get out the dang algea, and then the day after it drained itself, so it got another larger water change. So, this pond is basically all city water at the momment), and 5.5-6.5 on the 150. The 6 and 20 long get mass amounts of Flourish comp due to the plants. Does that have any bearing on the low pH? The 150 gallon pond is all rain water, so that explains that.

Anyway, I was just playing around with my new strips. Curiosity wanted to know why they were on clearence, and if they were any good (as good ad strips can be).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Or possibly this is why we don't trust test strips! :p

Your tanks and pond are cycled yes? Then 0 nitrites (NO2) is to be expected

Again, another reason we don't trust test strips ;)

I wouldn't trust that reading - strips are basically litmus paper that, at best, indicate alkaline or acidic water IMO

I'd be very curious to see what a liquid test kit says in comparison, that'll answer your question :D

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think it's funny that there is no ammonia test, and it's interesting that the nitrate scale goes up to 200.

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Ryan, my brain was still on nitrates when I was typing about the nitrites. Don't mind me LOL No idea what my mind set was on that XD

I would love to compare this to a liquid test, but alas, I don't have one... :/ I have Christmas money dedicated to fish stuff, though, and it's on my list of things to get, although very very low on there. I need to get the stuff for my new 55 first, which may take all my money :/

Right? :;laughing

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:giggle: we all get a bit of brain fade once in a while.

6. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Maybe that's why they were 90% off! They may have just been really old strips or maybe not store properly.....
    I happen to use strips quite often because both of my tanks are cycled and established - I only use my API when I get questionable results from the strips but I have found the strips in my case ( cycled tank ) to be pretty close and accurate.

Junne

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

They were kept outside, in the garden center, in Florida. It's lowes. They aren't geniuses LOL who's to say how much sunlight and heat the area they were stored in got lol

8. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

And humidity could get to them as well. Did it come with a moisture repellant packet ( can't remember what they are actually called ) inside the box? If not, then they probably are as good as a blank strip of paper.....

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

They did, actually, yes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice