Interesting Unidentified Life Form. Please Help.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 55 Marine is coming to life now at about 3 months since the first batch of live rock. I have all sorts of fun things popping out. Copepods and macros and such, but one has me very curious. I have searched and searched but can not find any info about it. It first appeared when a batch of featherdusters popped out. At first I thought they were featherdusters. They started out as tiny 1/8in tubes with a white tip surrounded by ,I think, a disk with 4 white dots that would form a square if connected with a line. My second thought was aiptasia anemones so I got on guard with a watchful eye. The tubes never get ant bigger than 1/8in long, they don't seem to have tentacles or anything, except for these 1 or 2 in long pinkish brown strings that resemble algae. It all has a pinkish brown color. I tried to take some pictures but they just look like algae. You can't see the little tubes. It isn't growing way out of control,but fast. This may be largely due to my recent water quality issues. Nitrates just kept getting out of hand. All the filters in the world don't amount to much until they are cycled, so water change water change. Anyway, if anyone has seen anything like this before and knows what it is, I'd appreciate help. ???

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gozer, sorry if you've been asked this already, but have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Rural areas sometimes have issues with high nitrate levels in the tap water...

JGoldinger

Reaction score
If i were you the death of things in your tank is not worth using tap water. Walmarts drinking water "greeb label" is reverse osmosis water .65 a gallon USE THAT!

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I started using a Captive Purity RO/DI filter for my makeup water. I have seen a HUGE improvemnet. As well as using purified bottled water. The green label stuff JGoldinger mentioned. Very much needed piece of equipment in my book. Can be a little slow, but worth it for sure.

JGoldinger

Reaction score
Gozer_1 said:
I started using a Captive Purity RO/DI filter for my makeup water. I have seen a HUGE improvemnet. As well as using purified bottled water. The green label stuff JGoldinger mentioned. Very much needed piece of equipment in my book. Can be a little slow, but worth it for sure.
A funny story about there water at my walmart the 1 gallon jugs are cheaper then the 2.5 gallon by .30 and we bought a 65 over the weekend and we are still waiting on our ro/di unit in the mail.... so i filled a cart with 40 1 gallon jugs of there drinking water for our new tank!

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JGoldinger said:
Gozer_1 said:
A funny story about there water at my walmart the 1 gallon jugs are cheaper then the 2.5 gallon by .30  and we bought a 65 over the weekend and we are still waiting on our ro/di unit in the mail.... so i filled a cart with 40 1 gallon jugs of there drinking water for our new tank!
That is funny and very ironic, as I just filled up four 5 gallon buckets with 20 one gal jugs I bought at Walmart. I also went with the cheaper 1 gal. jugs.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never did figure out what they were. They went away after awhile. Never seen since. Hmm Oh well.

This thread helped me SO much. It led me to the Walmart green label water. Couldn't tell you how many gallons I've used since. lol

Sorry just reflecting back on old posts.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom