interesting stocking? 10 Gallon Tank

1. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

hello everyone,
    i have a ten gallon that currently is holding 12 tiger barbs (i know, i know). i am returning the barbs to the petstore, but am wondering what i could stock it with afterword. i am looking for something that is 'interesting' and 'weird' looking i guess. something like that really makes you wonder what is out there, but it needs to be something that is is some what common but not super common. i know this is a tight fit, but i am just fishing for ideas.

thanks,

EDIT: what about shelldwellers? are there any that would fit stuggly?

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

You can always get a betta or two:p

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

A colony of multi cichlids (Neolamprologus multifaciatus) would be nice. They are a small shell dweller.

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, small shelldwellers should fit OK.
    Most of the smaller species that I know of are not so odd. :/

5. OP
    OP
    Quinn_Lamb98

tigresshill- i have thought of bettas but... i don't know i am just not the biggest fan, they are nice but i would really like something ''different''.

on the other hand- i really like the ''multies'', in the 2-3 articles i have read it says to have more females than males. do you think i could have 2 females and 1 male in the 10 gallon? also do they NEED shells or is that prefered? i am just asking because if i have a few extra or need to seperate 2 could i put one in a community tank. another question, lol- are they sand sifters for food or do they just sift sand to burry the shells? i ask because the pellets i feed to my other fish sink and i really hate using flakes.

thanks everyone, now just to convince my dad, lol.

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

They do need shells, yes. You can use hermit crab shells from what I've heard. I don't know much more about them, though.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You could do some shellies but I would look into some of the blue eyed rainbows myself. Thread fins, gertrudes, and yellow fork tails. They all stay small and work well in 10s. I have two 10gal in my office, one has the thread fins with a guppy pair a dwarf apisto and a small BN pleco while the other has the yellow fork tails and some CPD's.

8. OP
    OP
    Quinn_Lamb98

i think i am going to go with the shellies