Interesting Snail Suggestions?

bubblaroo
I'm looking to get some snails for my 15G aquarium. I obviously want them mostly for recreational purposes, but I'd like a slightly less common type of snail that breeds moderately fast so that I can sell them as they breed and help sustain my fishkeeping habit that way.

I want something with some visual interest, and ideally a type that isn't commonly sold at LFS (I would order them online).

I considered nerites, but I'm aware that those only breed under brackish conditions so it wouldn't really work out.
The water is moderately soft and about 78F. I've got some live plants and a betta fish in there, as well as sandy substrate.

What cool snails out there do you recommend??

Sion
red ramshorn snails aren't as common as the brown ones. They breed like rabbits

bubblaroo
red aren't as common as the brown ones. They breed like rabbits

Unfortunately all my local buy-sell websites are quite saturated with private breeders who sell all sorts of awesome, beautiful, exotic-looking ramshorns so I don't think that I would have much luck getting those sold.

Sion
Have you considered shrimp? Some of the exotically colored RCS get good money.

bubblaroo
Unfortunately breeding shrimp with a betta in the tank is not going to work out (;

I do have a separate tank where I breed shrimp but I haven't had them for long enough to sell the offspring yet.

What is everyone's opinion on ?

I don't need them to breed like bunnies. Just a couple of offspring a month would be grand. They do well in the moderately soft water that my betta likes and are fairly uncommon, as well as quite interesting looking.

Aureus
I really like Red Racer Nerite snails! They are really pretty.

bubblaroo
I really like Red Racer Nerite snails! They are really pretty.
Unfortunatelt nerites need brackish water to breed, so they're not an option for me!

Aureus
Unfortunatelt nerites need brackish water to breed, so they're not an option for me!
Oh, sorry! I must have missed the part where you mentioned that you wanted to breed the snails.
While they're not the prettiest snails, have you thought about Assassin Snails?
They are some really pretty Mystery Snail colors if you're interested in them.

Platylover
Well, rabbits aren’t going to breed fast but you can setup a breeding program once you determine the genders. Have you looked into some of ‘rarer’ mystery colours?

bubblaroo
Well, rabbits aren’t going to breed fast but you can setup a breeding program once you determine the genders. Have you looked into some of ‘rarer’ mystery colours?
While they're not the prettiest snails, have you thought about Assassin Snails?
They are some really pretty Mystery Snail colors if you're interested in them.

Ooo interesting option! I will look into it.

bubblaroo
Anybody got experience breeding piano snails?

Keystone
Anybody got experience breeding piano snails?

I've never seen piano snails in the US - only Europe.

Niki Rose
Mystery snails have a variety of different colors and are very cute to me,
Ramshorns are also another option and also come in a variety of colors

You may want to look into cuttlebone if you experience any damaged shells due to soft water

Edit - spixI snail, trapdoor snail, rabbit snail are some less common ideas

bubblaroo
I've never seen piano snails in the US - only Europe.
I just so happen to live in Europe (;
But I've found them to be pretty uncommon even around these parts, only 2 of the 6 major online aquarium suppliers in my country actually have them in stock.

Ravynn
Maybe mystery snails that have a dark foot and light shell; called jade I think.

Skye_marilyn
I just so happen to live in Europe (;
But I've found them to be pretty uncommon even around these parts, only 2 of the 6 major online aquarium suppliers in my country actually have them in stock.
I love the spotted rabbit snails but they reproduce kind of slow and will eat java fern.

BBnL
Love mystery snails, especially when they get large.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mazeus
  • Trekker1125
  • Snails
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Top Bottom