Interesting Rubber Lip Pleco

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Alhana, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

Saw a couple of interesting rubber lip pleco at the store today. Was curious if there are different types of rubber lips or is it just a different color. Here is the picture I snapped of it.

243822-d0f256640666209a522df77acb1a85df.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I'm pretty sure that there is only one type of Rubber Lip Pleco.
    I could be wrong though, maybe they are just that color since they are still juvies or maybe it's a new variety.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

There are a number of species that go by the common name rubber lip pleco.

The one in the middle is likely L148, the one in the front I don't know.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

There are many species of Chaetostoma. I've seen at least four or five different species in stores at different times. That photo shows at least two, perhaps three species in the tank.

These fish are generally wild collected, and it is likely that groups from multiple rivers are put together for shipping, resulting in multiple species showing up in dealers' tanks.

I'd suggest looking over at Planetcatfish if you are really curious about the genus.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I think they are a quite strange position in the tank and quite skinny. But they are awesome personalities. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice