Interesting question

Christo101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I've been wondering.... what natural filter media is out there except for gravel/substrate?

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Christo101 said:
So I've been wondering.... what natural filter media is out there except for gravel/substrate?
I'm a little unclear, are you asking about natural filter media, or natural substrate? If you're referring to substrate, some planted tanks use sterilized dirt.

OP
Christo101

Christo101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Natural filter media but not sand or gravel or substrate. People put sand/gravel/substrate in their filter as an alternative to man made filter media. So now I'm asking is there any other types of natural filter media?

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Christo101 said:
Natural filter media but not sand or gravel or substrate. People put sand/gravel/substrate in their filter as an alternative to man made filter media. So now I'm asking is there any other types of natural filter media?
What kind of filter do people put sand/gravel etc. into? I'm intrigued... can you enlighten me a little?

TheChefSLC

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
there are many that could be used. it just depends on what you are wanting to accomplish.

the 2 main ones are what Anders said. peat moss to lower pH, and crushed coral to raise it. Also, there are bio rings that are a ceramic cylinders that your BB will love to live in. They are fairly natural and very commonly used for BB in filters.

There are also sponges. These can by synthetic or natural depending on your pocket book.

MJDuti

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the only other natural thing I can think of off the top of my head is lava rock due to it being porous. However, there are better alternatives. Is there a plan in your head, or just wondering this?

OP
Christo101

Christo101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm wondering and planning on using more natural filtration in my tank

TheChefSLC

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Christo101 said:
plants are a great natural filter as well. Here is some info on this from aquarium wikI

MJDuti

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, how did we not think of plants?! Always go right past the obvious. IMO, they will be your best natural filtration. Take a plant like hornwort, or anacharis (both low maintenance), and it will soak up a ton of nitrate.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MJDuti said:
lol, how did we not think of plants?! Always go right past the obvious. IMO, they will be your best natural filtration. Take a plant like hornwort, or anacharis (both low maintenance), and it will soak up a ton of nitrate.
Plants are known to remove other contaminants too.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Christo101 said:
Seriously, look up the DePuy filter.... It's exactly what you're looking for, but you have to build it yourself.

OP
Christo101

Christo101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will look it up,I love DIY projects

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Didja find some build ideas? The DePuy filter is designed to replicate the way that water is "filtered" and aerated in the wild. I considered building one to us on a wild betta tank as both a filter and rainmaker, but ended up finding a cheaper option for rainmaking since I already had a filter.

aylad

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
junebug said:
Seriously, look up the DePuy filter.... It's exactly what you're looking for, but you have to build it yourself.
Okay, I looked up the DePuy filter, and Google was entirely unhelpful. The forum search turned up this thread and nothing else. Got any links?

TheChefSLC

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aylad said:
Okay, I looked up the DePuy filter, and Google was entirely unhelpful. The forum search turned up this thread and nothing else. Got any links?
I had the exact same issue. I have a black sash googlefu ranking as well

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom