Interesting low matanance stocking for a 10g

1. n

n25philly Valued Member Member

I have a 10g tank at home that I've had since maybe around February. Up until recently it was stocked with espei rasboras and habrosus cories. It was a heavily planted tank and at first I really enjoyed it, but some of the corys died and when it came to be a mainly rasbora tank I found it be kind of boring. Last week I moved all the fish to a larger tank that I have in my office at work where I am enjoying them more as they don't need to be the feature of the tank. The corys seem a lot happier now that they are with the peppered corys in the bigger tank.

So now I want to redo the 10 to make it more interesting. Things having been getting very busy for me lately so I'm hoping to keep it lower maintenance. I would still be a planted tank but I'm not quite sure what to get for it. I'm open to almost anything. I don't really want a betta as I have one already in a small tank. I've always wanted pea puffers, but I have a feeling they would be a bit too high maintenance. (If I ever set up a second tank at work that would definitely be it as my tank there has tons of snails)

The main thing is that I want something interesting in the tank. I liked the rasboras and they had neat schooling behavior until I noticed that other then when it was feeding time they hardly moved. It can be anything from schooling fish to a solitary one as long as it's got some kind of personality and doesn't have too many special needs.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Fishboy123

Fishboy123 Valued Member Member

My neon tetra go absolutely crazy when feeding time and I hand feed them! I mean they move around a ton so maybe that's an option. I keep black neons and neons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

I agree with FishBoy123 some neon tetras would be great. Can be very colorful, move around a lot, cheap, low maintenance, and schooling fish are always fun to look at. Some skirt fin tetras would look great in any aquarium. Another suggestion, to make even more low maintenance, get a few ghost shrimp. CLEANING MACHINES!! Super cheap at Lfs, some even give them out for free. Great addition to any tank, and also very good feeders. Just make sure whatever fish you choose, they can't eat em.;) you coul also consider a beta. One of the most low maintenance Fish ever (I have 3):) you don't even need a filter. Just do a 25 percent water change and gravel vac every week or 2. Btw snails are a waste. Die quick, and are pooping machines!!:)

Best of luck!:)

I love my puffer

4. OP
    OP
    n

For some reason I've never been big on neon tetras, but I can't think of an actual reason why so maybe I'll have to give them a go. If they are that active a ten isn't going to be too small for them is it?

I don't know about the ghost shrimp, I've tried other shrimp in the past and never had any luck with them.

I'm not a big snail guy anyway just some mts for the planted tanks and pest snails from the plants

I don't know about a betta I already have one in a smaller tank and don't see the need for another.

5. Fishboy123

Fishboy123 Valued Member Member

I think maybe 8 neons would be a good stock. They are really enjoyable

6. I love my puffer

Yes I agree:)

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A trio of sparkling gouramis would be good in a 10 gallon, or a group of celestial pearl danios

8. wildatheart

wildatheart Valued Member Member

Harlequin Rasboras are flashy and cool to watch eat.
    Cherry barbs are fun too with much more personality than tetras or rasboras.

If you do puffers they have to be solo though.
    I just learned this the hard way after some "murder mystery" shrimp deaths in my community tank...
    And they can go after other fish too I'm told.

9. wildatheart

wildatheart Valued Member Member

A couple little Gobies might be cool?
    They are like little mini bulldogs and I love their personality

10. sasha94

sasha94 Valued Member Member

A pair of dwarf gouramis, african or dwarf frogs with ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp or otos. Dwarf gouramis and a few neon tetras would work too. My neon tetras used to follow my dwarf gourami. it was fun to watch.

11. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Sparkling gouramis! Theyre adorable and very shiny and funny to watch! Also they love plants and are fun to watch :) and the make a cute croaking sound which im fascinated by ! :)

12. I love my puffer

Oooooh. That's a great idea!!!:) love them;)

13. G

GuyCO Valued Member Member

You can try and add a couple of guppies. Maybe like 1 male and 4 females.

14. OP
    OP
    n

Thank you to everyone that replied!

How are the sparkling gourami's personalities? I have experience with honey gourami's and they have always been nice. The one I have in my tank and work recognizes me as the food source and is always in the front of the tank begging for food. ( I names him Kissyface because when I put my face in front of the tank he comes up right in front of me like he wants a kiss)

Oh, I know that if I were to ever do puffers it would be species only. I'm tempted to get a 5gal for at work to get a dwarf puffer.

15. I love my puffer

I love the dwarf puffer idea! They have a sweet personality in my experience with this fish:)

16. OP
    OP
    n

How tough are dwarf puffers to keep? I've always wanted them but have held off due to hearing they are a bit more work to keep (and because they are not community fish) There is so much bad info out there it's hard to get a truly good idea. I know they need snails which shouldn't be a problem since I have tons of MTS and ramshorns in my tank at work. Any advice you could give if I wanted to set up a 5 or a ten for them?

17. Coradee

18. I love my puffer

Well, I never have had any problem with them(and have kept quite a few;)) they just need to be fed shrimp-ghost,brine,etc and snails about the size of there eyes. They are also 100 percent fresh water and I have had no issues with an opposite sex pair or multipule females together by themselves or with 1 male. You also don't have to worry about babies because there has never been a recorded case of breeding in captivity. They only need about 3 gal each and are oh-so cute with great personalities!!!!

19. OP
    OP
    n

What about filtration? If I were to set up a 5 here at work I already have a sponge filter, and it would get heavily planted, likely from trimmings from my bigger tank. Would that be enough or should I get something more?

20. Coradee

They have been bred in captivity although it is quite rare, might be something to try ;)
    Here is an account of someone's success
    http://www.zwergkugelfisch.de/deu-dwarfpuffer.htm