Interesting Fish That Are Easy To Keep

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FoulFishes, Jul 10, 2015.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Hi guys, would anyone have recommendations of some fish that are interesting or uncommon, but easy to keep? I have a friend who is interested in starting a tank but does not want any "typical or common fish." She is interested in Rainbows, but I suggested to look for a different species cause I don't really think those would make a good beginner's fish.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

What size tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, we'd need to know a tank size and preferably pH before suggesting any fish.

4. FishesInTank

FishesInTank Valued Member Member

Hi, he/she might wanna have german blue ram (uncommon and beautiful) or cherry barbs :) even though idk if they are rare or not, but most of the common fishes are beginners sometimes, he/she might try with guppies, neon tetras, killfish, platies or mollies. But what size is your tank?

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think that she might look into some rasbora for easy to keep and not often kept fish that happen to be lovely.
    A pair of keyhole cichlids are very easy to keep and to breed (even while breeding they claim a small territory, and remain fairly placid, warning off rather than fighting with other fish, yet maintain all the interest of cichlid substrate spawners. Lots of choices, but need a tank size.
    I agree with the above about German Rams being beautiful, but 1), they do not meet the uncommon bit, and 2) they are not terribly hardy fish, I would by far suggest a fish from the Genus that rams used to be in, the apistos, my liking the cockatoo and the McMaster the most, although there are very many to choose from. They do also require great care, but also tend to live much longer than rams seem to do. Best to you, rick

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

There really isn't a tank or tank size in question right now. She's just been interested after seeming my tanks, and said she'd like to keep some fish that were "cool and not typical or common," and said she liked the way Rainbows look. She hasn't bought any tanks or committed to the hobby yet. But it got me thinking, because I couldn't think of too many hardy or easy to care fish that are exotic.

7. FishesInTank

FishesInTank Valued Member Member

It should be tank question, cuz who knows she want a big and beautiful fish, we need to know if the fishes fit or not. If we found out the tank size, we will find the fishes for ur friend's aquarium. :)

8. c

cookiecutter Valued Member Member

Bichirs are cool and super hardy fishes although they do get pretty huge. But you could keep them in a smaller tank of maybe say, 30g when its alot smaller and upgrade from there. Easy to keep, easy to feed (gets expensive as it grows) and pretty interesting to watch.

9. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I'm not really asking to fulfill a specific tank, because A) this person doesn't even own a tank yet, and B) I don't know if she's really going to commit to all the details of the hobby so I don't know if she will actually buy a tank. But i'm guessing it wouldn't be large fish if she did, because the bigger the tank the more expensive it would be. So let's say fish that are under 6 inches.

The reason I mentioned my friend was mostly for background. I just couldn't think of many exotic fish that are hardy so I thought it would make a good topic. I know people constantly come here for stocking questions but I'm just trying to compile a list of "cool and not typical or common" fish. Thats why I originally posted this in the Freshwater Water Fish section and not the Aquarium Stocking section. Cause this is NOT a stocking question lol.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Some cichlids are not so common, but they're not the easiest keepers, that's for sure, especially mbuna.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Freshwater pipefish? Jk, those aren't easy to keep.
    How about shell dwelling cichlids?

12. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

A show quality betta.

13. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Any of the Apistogramma cichlids would work. They're rare and pretty easy to take care of.

14. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I'm not sure how easy or hard these species are to keep, cause I don't have any experience with them, but they're exotic looking and I've seen them around in multiple pet stores.

Dojo Loaches
    Yo-Yo Loaches
    Denison's Barbs - I am mystified by the beauty of this fish
    Pictus Catfish
    Hatchetfish
    Columbian Tetras
    Threadfin Rainbowfish
    Orange Dwarf Mexican Crayfish (CPO)

15. Anders247

All of those except for the dojo loach and the crayfish are schooling fish and would need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    Threadfin rainbows.... not sure if they're easy to keep or not.

16. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I'll add peacock gudgeons to the thread - can even be kept in something as small as a 10 gallon!

Hardy, unique looking fish with no real special needs, just clean water!

17. junebug

Pencilfish would be fun, as would halfbeaks, or any of the goodeids. Most of them are fairly hardy if you get the water right (pH/hardness need to be correct to the species). Halfbeaks are livebearers and there are several species to choose from. Most don't require huge aquaria either.

The Killifish family has dozens upon dozens of species to choose from, many of which are extremely hardy. Paradise fish would be a choice if your friend was able to get the water nice and soft for them. Wild bettas are EXTREMELY hardy if you get their water right. One of mine has had camallanus worms for a year and he hasn't been sick until a few weeks ago. For a hardy species, any of the mouthbrooders or splendens complex fish would be good choices. There is a wild betta for every size tank :)

18. Anders247

I would agree about them, but not the tank size.... they get 3 inches. Too big for a 10g, imo......

19. junebug

I have some adults in a 55 gallon. They never got that big, they're about 2.5" max. They're also not very active fish. I'd be fine keeping a pair or trio in a ten gallon, particularly if it were well planted with broken lines of sight.

20. Anders247

I see..... just personally I would not feel comfortable about a 3 inch fish in a 10. If that size is rare for them, then I can see it working.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice