Interesting? Fish Sleeping At Night?

Reaction score
So I have a 29 gallon native fish aquarium with only eastern black nose dace,I think these are great fish,however i don’t know if this is common with tropical fish or not but every night around 9-10pm all the fish are nowhere to be seen,it turns out they are “sleeping” at the bottom of the tank but every morning they are all up and active,Does this typically happen with all types of fish or just certain kinds?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have a 29 gallon native fish aquarium with only eastern black nose dace,I think these are great fish,however i don’t know if this is common with tropical fish or not but every night around 9-10pm all the fish are nowhere to be seen,it turns out they are “sleeping” at the bottom of the tank but every morning they are all up and active,Does this typically happen with all types of fish or just certain kinds?
I am not sure why you yours do that but I bet my mollies are up all night begging for food they will not get until the next day...
ABF: Probably up all night
Pearl Gouramis: Lay on the bottom to sleep and do not get up
Mollies: UP ALL NIGHT
Corydoras: Seem to fall asleep later
Clown Pleco: Wait A minute... Where are you?
Assassin Snail: Wait A minute... Where are you?
Shrimp: I do not know yet

Reaction score
However when these guys are up they are constantly searching for any morsel of food they can,I have kept platys before I guess I just never paid attention to them as much,the really interesting part I’ve noticed is when they do decide to “sleep” they only go to the planted part of the tank instead of the open part which I don’t understand since this is a species only tank and hence no predators

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
However when these guys are up they are constantly searching for any morsel of food they can,I have kept platys before I guess I just never paid attention to them as much,the really interesting part I’ve noticed is when they do decide to “sleep” they only go to the planted part of the tank instead of the open part which I don’t understand since this is a species only tank and hence no predators
It's just instinctive behaviour. Many fish will sleep on or near the bottom and some will seek out plants, hollows or caves for cover. Some fish will sleep in mid water. My Rainbowfish do this, though typically a little lower in water column than during the day and usually where the flow is minimal.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish try very very hard to sleep, usually hovering midway up the aquarium. However the insomniac lunatic Cory's rarely, if ever, allow anyone to get any sleep since they are constantly bumbling along play wrestling and they do not care who or what they crash into.....faceplanting into the plants, sand, gravel, other fish, the glass....they don't care, they just keep playing and acting like naughty kids all night

Any sleeping done is usually in the afternoon when the poor fish simply run out of energy and can no longer fight the urge to sleep.......the Cory's on the other hand have had another burst of coffee-itis by then and are wrestling, getting jiggy with it and leaf poledancing.....the othe fish just look at them bleary eyed as if to say "oh god...will you just please stay still! .....sleeeeeeeep....we want to sleeeeeeeep"

HenryC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My neon tetras do this. They all scatter between all my plants at the bottom and just lay there near motionless. Perhaps that's how they sleep.

My Glass Bloodfin tetras and Dwarf Gourami on the other hand, seem to have infinite stamina. They're always moving all around.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My angels, rams and tetras sleep at the bottom. They also lose their color and fade when they are sleeping.

Also my breeding pairs of angels put their babies to sleep on a leaf during the first week of free swimming. It's so cute! They gather all the free swimmers in their mouths and spit them on a large leaf. Amazingly the babies know it's sleepy time when the light goes out and they stay there.

My hitchiker guppy sleeps at the top of his 5g though. So some fish sleep in different zones. Also it depends on which fish are nocturnal, like a catfish will mostly be sleeping during the day and active at night. But they all sleep somewhere sometime

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My discus have gotten pretty in sync with the cycle of the lights, once they go blue the fish are out cold. Though they tend to just stop and fall asleep wherever they happened to be.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some fish are nocturnal, some diurnal, and some just never stop moving. My Guppies sleep at night and so does my Betta. The shrimp I have are more active at night and my Red Claw crab is rarely seen in the light of day.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My loaches like to scare me by rolling on their side of back when they sleep lol. It's definitely a different thing to get used to.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People used to say that fish can't sleep because they have no eyelids and therefore can't close their eyes. My father was one of them. That has definitely been proven wrong.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see an eyelid. It looks like the eye just goes down or even inward.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, lot of fish sleep.

Guppies do it. Freaks me out. Moment I turn the lights out, they all stop moving and free float in one spot.

In the morning, light goes back on, they spring back to life. It's insane.

I used to keep corydoras and they'd just lay on the bottom of the tank motionless at night. Creepy...but I realized they were sleeping.

Other fish like Bettas just stop and rest to conserve energy, I don't think I've ever seen a Betta "sleep".

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom