Interesting Fish Names.

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Fishlore! This is a post I think many of you will like, me myself like interesting and different fish names that really stand out from the crowd, I mean, how often do we see a goldish named goldie? Or a guppy named bubbles or fin.

Yeah, some people like fish names that are normal and quite cute, and that is perfectly fine!
But for those of you who enjoy unique fish names, this is the thread for you!
So let's get into the names! (Below I will list the names, I don't know where I got them so they are just my favourite top 20 names I made up or pulled from an old book or movie I don't remember anymore)
  • Carlex (A quite unique name, I honestly think it suits many fish, especially black ones)
  • Quintus (I don't know where I got this one, or any of these, but it seems like a male name)
  • Tullia (This would perfectly fit a female fish, especially a Betta)
  • Orsino (This one seems to be a name for any gender, any color, just a good general name)
  • Akello (One of the more interesting ones on this list, suiting male or female)
  • Venturi (Seems like a male name, but it could suit both)
  • Shae (Another one that works for both genders)
  • Akiva (I see this one on a boisterous goldfish or small quick tetra)
  • Udoka (Seems like a female name, maybe a Betta name)
  • Elixyvette (A long exotic name, for short it could be Elix or Lix, anything really)
  • Vasili (I don't know what to think about this name, it was the name of my second ever fish)
  • Abraxas (Another long one, nicknames could be Abra, or Rax, Brax too)
  • Yosemite (I think this name has Japanese origins, so will do well on koi or other fish from Japan)
  • Quemby (A fitting name for a male fish, or maybe an old slow snail)
  • Sosthenes (Nickname could be Thenes or Sosth)
  • Vesper (The name I gave my very first school of tetras)
  • Viridian (Another nickname could be Viri, Ridi, or Ian)
  • Nicodemus (One of my personal favorites, nicknames could be Nico, Demus or Icod)
  • Ignatius (Suits any male fish, nicknames include Igna, Ati or Gnat if you want to be funny)
  • Valdemar (Suiting any gender, nicknames being Valde, Demar or Val)
  • Vincenzo (With this name I conclude my list, nicknames for this could be Vin, Cenz or Vincen)
There we go! 20 names, including nicknames which could be good names in themself, use these for any fish you want to name and use this thread as a reference, and remember to enjoy these names for the little guys we all love.

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello Fishlore! This is a post I think many of you will like, me myself like interesting and different fish names that really stand out from the crowd, I mean, how often do we see a goldish named goldie? Or a guppy named bubbles or fin.

Yeah, some people like fish names that are normal and quite cute, and that is perfectly fine!
But for those of you who enjoy unique fish names, this is the thread for you!
So let's get into the names! (Below I will list the names, I don't know where I got them so they are just my favourite top 20 names I made up or pulled from an old book or movie I don't remember anymore)
  • Carlex (A quite unique name, I honestly think it suits many fish, especially black ones)
  • Quintus (I don't know where I got this one, or any of these, but it seems like a male name)
  • Tullia (This would perfectly fit a female fish, especially a Betta)
  • Orsino (This one seems to be a name for any gender, any color, just a good general name)
  • Akello (One of the more interesting ones on this list, suiting male or female)
  • Venturi (Seems like a male name, but it could suit both)
  • Shae (Another one that works for both genders)
  • Akiva (I see this one on a boisterous goldfish or small quick tetra)
  • Udoka (Seems like a female name, maybe a Betta name)
  • Elixyvette (A long exotic name, for short it could be Elix or Lix, anything really)
  • Vasili (I don't know what to think about this name, it was the name of my second ever fish)
  • Abraxas (Another long one, nicknames could be Abra, or Rax, Brax too)
  • Yosemite (I think this name has Japanese origins, so will do well on koi or other fish from Japan)
  • Quemby (A fitting name for a male fish, or maybe an old slow snail)
  • Sosthenes (Nickname could be Thenes or Sosth)
  • Vesper (The name I gave my very first school of tetras)
  • Viridian (Another nickname could be Viri, Ridi, or Ian)
  • Nicodemus (One of my personal favorites, nicknames could be Nico, Demus or Icod)
  • Ignatius (Suits any male fish, nicknames include Igna, Ati or Gnat if you want to be funny)
  • Valdemar (Suiting any gender, nicknames being Valde, Demar or Val)
  • Vincenzo (With this name I conclude my list, nicknames for this could be Vin, Cenz or Vincen)
There we go! 20 names, including nicknames which could be good names in themself, use these for any fish you want to name and use this thread as a reference, and remember to enjoy these names for the little guys we all love.
I am definately using one of these names on my new betta.

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Glad to hear you like them fish 321, once you've decided on a name, please show me the betta! I'd love to see it, betta's are so amazing and flashy, truly the peacocks of the aquarium

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One of my personal favorites as well.

I'm happy to add more names if you ever need, it literally took about 10 minutes to compile a list of 50 fish names into a document.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
haha orsino reminds me of dragon age. i think i've seen a betta named abraxas?

my fish have somewhat interesting names i guess... prince sidon, king zora, marshmallow, c. c. tinsley, leeroy jenkins, ricky goldsworth, and d. b. cooper.

bentaz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
most of my fish get as boring a name as i can think of, Trevor, Eric, etc.
(sorry to any trevor's or eric's reading this)
Although my kids often have other names for the same fish, sparkles, unicorn, princess. etc, LoL!

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My angel fish pair would have to be valdemar being the male and Elixyvette being the female.
Good choices!

haha orsino reminds me of dragon age. i think i've seen a betta named abraxas?

my fish have somewhat interesting names i guess... prince sidon, king zora, marshmallow, c. c. tinsley, leeroy jenkins, ricky goldsworth, and d. b. cooper.
Nice ones :3

most of my fish get as boring a name as i can think of, Trevor, Eric, etc.
(sorry to any trevor's or eric's reading this)
Although my kids often have other names for the same fish, sparkles, unicorn, princess. etc, LoL!
Haha.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of latin and italian on that list, nice! Random russian in there too Valdemar is actually one way to spell a very old fashioned Dutch/German name (as in, dating to the middle ages). My friend who is a history teacher has always said if he ever gets a son, that's what he'll name him.
I'll keep Shae in mind, I like it for a fish.

I named my Dojos after a chinese drama that I like - Su, Lin, Mu and Jing. I've been kind of too embarrassed to tell anyone in RL though, hahaha. They think the idea of fish names is dumb in the first place, especially if I've put any effort into it. So it's just my private pleasure ^^

I've decided to name my bettas after cities (casa del papel anyone?). Currently I have Versailles, a female koi.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My betta are Odysseus and Penelope
My rams are Samson and delilah
My pleco is Vinci as in d'vinci
My golden zebra loaches are Ed Edd and Eddy cuz i cant tell them apart lol
Then my puffers are Runt and Squirt

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lots of latin and italian on that list, nice! Random russian in there too Valdemar is actually one way to spell a very old fashioned Dutch/German name (as in, dating to the middle ages). My friend who is a history teacher has always said if he ever gets a son, that's what he'll name him.
I'll keep Shae in mind, I like it for a fish.

I named my Dojos after a chinese drama that I like - Su, Lin, Mu and Jing. I've been kind of too embarrassed to tell anyone in RL though, hahaha. They think the idea of fish names is dumb in the first place, especially if I've put any effort into it. So it's just my private pleasure ^^

I've decided to name my bettas after cities (casa del papel anyone?). Currently I have Versailles, a female koi.
Yeah I think I remembered the from old movies I watched with Italian and German names in them, I also studied Latin for a while so may have also just remembered random Latin words.

Good idea with the city naming idea.

I hope you keep naming fish because no matter what inexperienced people say about them being "Just fish" they hold a special place in their owners heart.

Good names! Good fish too, you have some of my favorite species on there.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen your threads around, I *love* your naming sense.

I hope you keep naming fish because no matter what inexperienced people say about them being "Just fish" they hold a special place in their owners heart.
We're all inspired by books and tv
Exactly, though still I won't tell my relatives because I don't really feel like getting teased with it. They've actually asked me about it, I told them they had names but I wouldn't tell them. My brother is somewhat in awe of my main tank. They just bought a new house, my sister-in-law is seriously considering getting a nano with a betta and is eyeballing my tanks when they visit but neither of them trusts her with pet care - which is ironic because they have a dog (very well raised, well behaved, though maybe that's mostly due to my brother). I think the jealous undertones just make it more likely that they'll end up making fun of the names When I told him that's why I wouldn't tell him, he just smirked this evil grin and didn't push it. He knows what he's like

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually choose names that start with the same letter as the fish species and seem like friendly names. My Betta is named Benny for example. Sometimes I go with the color they are. My Tequila Sunrise Guppy is Sonny and my blue Cobra Guppy is Jake (for Jake the snake). I was trying to come up with a name for my Red Claw crab when I got him and settled on naming him after a TV celebrity who gets crabby frequently. His name is Chrisley.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom