Interesting fish for a 20 gallon tank?

1. s

samamamajama Valued Member Member

I've gotten to the point where my fish caring skills are pretty good, I know how to maintain my tank properly and I am currently caring for a 55 gallon angel tank. I have recently freed up a 20 gallon tank that was home to guppies and corys.

I am looking for some ideas on what type of fish i can get for the 20 gallon tank now, preferably a single bigger fish that has some character like an oscar (I know that the tank is no way near big enough for an oscar) but if anyone could help me figure something out that would be much appreciated :)

I have been told I could house a few yellow lab cichlids but from what ive been researching it doesn't sound like a good idea in a smaller tank like this.

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    s

I've had dwarf gourami and golden gourami, they are nice fish but I'm looking for something a bit more unique

4. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    s

Something a bit bigger possibly

6. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

Is this a 20L or 20H? If it's a 20L you could do Bolivian Rams, lots of character and bigger than the other Rams. You could also do some other small cichlids. If it's a 20H I can't think of much with a whole lot of personality in freshwater. If you are willing to do saltwater hawkfish have lots of personality. Plenty of options in saltwater.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Its a 20 gallon tank (75L) and I would prefer not to do salt water

8. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

They were asking if its long or high. What are the tank measurements?

9. OP
    OP
    s

OOOOOHHHH ok sorry, its a 60cm long tank not sure about height

10. shusband

That is a 20 gallon high, sorry for the confusion. You could probably do a single German ram along with a school of small tetras.

11. OP
    OP
    s

Not too fond of the size

12. shusband

There is no fish, I can think of, bigger than 3, maybe 4, inches appropriate for a 20H.

13. OP
    OP
    s

Would the yellow lab cichlids be ok in a tank that small?

14. shusband

Not for long, I wouldn't do them on anything other than a tank at least 36 inch long, really they need a 55 gallon.