Interesting Fish for a 10 Gallon Cubic Tank

1. t

theRqua Valued Member Member

Hi,

I have a 10 gal cubic tank (37.5cm length; 24.5cm width; 38cm height), and I wank to make some changes, one of them is replacing some of the fish. I have:
    2 orange Platys
    1 Guppy
    1 Glass Catfish
    5 Zebra Danios
    1 Neon Tetra, 1 Cardinal Tetra
    I know, tank is a bit overstocked, zebras need more swimming space due to tank size, a tall plastic plant and a floating Anubias. Also the tetras are scattered since they have no schoolmates. Glass Catfish also requires a larger tank and more mates.
    I know the facts, but I want to change that by replacing them with some more interesting fish. I want something beyond easy care, I'm getting bored and want to turn the hobby into an activity.

Currently I'm in love with my orange Platys. They're calm swimmers and I love their deep colors, unlike Zebra Danios or Neon Tetras having multiple and some transparent colors.
    My Guppy is a cute one, exploring around the aquarium with its little mohawk, so I'm keeping him.

What do you recommend?
    I was thinking about a snail, or a very small schooling fish (smaller than Neon Tetra, if such a fish exists), maybe another sort of solitary small-medium sized fish such as the Platy...

I want to make my aquarium hobby less idle and more active.

Thanks for the help!

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi there :)

I'd keep your guppy and platies and rehome everyone else if you aren't attachd to them. The zebra danios for sure would need more swimming room and the rest would definitely benefit from upping their numbers which is limited because of your tank size. I am a big fan of endlers if you are looking for a schooling fish smaller than your neon. The males are beautifully colored and are quite active. With endlers I'd definitely keep 2-3 females per 1 male so that the ladies get a break from the constant pestering the male will be doing. Endlers have been known to cross breed with guppies, just an FYI in case you don't want that happening.

Hope that helps!

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I would re-home the neon and cardinal tetras, zebra danios and glass catfish
    Then your stock could be something like this (assuming your platys and guppy are males)
    2-3x Platys (All male)
    3-4x Guppys (All male)
    3-5x Shrimp (Cherry, ghost, Amano, etc.)
    1-3x Snails (Horned Nerite, Nerite, Mystery, etc.)

A 10g just isn't enough room for schooling fish like neon tetras and zebra danios.
    Platys have a high bio load, so you really can't have that much in a 10g with them. (You can't have much in a 10g to begin with IMO though)

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Agreewith most of the above.
    3 fish at most at The fish size youre keeping imo.
    ember tetraswould be better schooling fish for that tank.

6. L

Lilybug New Member Member

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf gourami are too active for a 10 gal. But OP hasn't been on in almost 3 weeks.

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I love it when you talk for me, lol.