Interesting fact of the day thread

Passionfish

Hello everyone! Just for the fun of it, I've decided to post a fun fact about animals every day (I hope).
Today's fun fact: There is a gecko in Australia called the Golden-tailed gecko and it shoots disgusting smelling liquid out of pores in its tail, similar to a skunk.

The title should say "Interesting fact of the day thread", oops

BigManAquatics

I don't think i want to hang out with that gecko! Probably the Geico gecko...

Passionfish

Sorry I'm a little late today!
Today's fun fact: The False Killer Whale is a type of dolphin that travels in groups of 400-500 individuals, and are killing machines that play with their food(which includes juvenile sharks and baby whales). They are pretty much psychopaths.

BigManAquatics

Sorry I'm a little late today!
Today's fun fact: The False Killer Whale is a type of dolphin that travels in groups of 400-500 individuals, and are killing machines that play with their food(which includes juvenile sharks and baby whales). They are pretty much psychopaths.
Sounds like the Cats of the Sea...or psychopaths, same thing.

Passionfish

Ok so I missed yesterday because my school quarter is about to end and I was in school and studying the whole day, so sorry bout that.
Today's fun fact: There are baboon like creatures called "Geladas", and they look like they could tear you apart in 10 seconds, but in reality, they are harmless vegetarians. I will post a picture link down below.
https://eus-www.sway-cdn.com/s/cMk9...ity=400&allowAnimation=true&embeddedHost=true
Males can grow up to 40 pounds, which is quite scary to me. The fact that they just sit down all day and eat grass is so cool.

Passionfish

Hello everyone! I'm very tired today.
Today's fun fact: Geckos don't stick to almost every surface because of suction, instead, they have tiny little hairs on their feet which are called setae. These hairs come in contact with almost any surface and are attracted to the surface due to van der waals forces. This only works when their hairs are very close to the surface, because van der waals forces will not work if the setae are too far away.

Passionfish

Ok, can we not talk about how many days I missed? Thanks lol.
Today's fun fact: There are crabs called coconut crabs, and they live on islands around the Indian ocean. they can grow up to 1 meter in length/width and are foragers that feed at night. Their size makes them able to lift up to 60 pounds, and they feed on fruits, coconuts(obviously), and animals(even cats). Their claws are extremely powerful and can break human bones.

That's all for today folks! I'll add a picture link below.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.KIKxLA7f7aLzFmRmosr5OQHaE6?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

BigManAquatics

Ok, can we not talk about how many days I missed? Thanks lol.
Today's fun fact: There are crabs called coconut crabs, and they live on islands around the Indian ocean. they can grow up to 1 meter in length/width and are foragers that feed at night. Their size makes them able to lift up to 60 pounds, and they feed on fruits, coconuts(obviously), and animals(even cats). Their claws are extremely powerful and can break human bones.

That's all for today folks! I'll add a picture link below.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.KIKxLA7f7aLzFmRmosr5OQHaE6?pid=ImgDet&rs=1
I call them my Home Defense system

Passionfish

I'm so meh today.
Today's fun fact: Pelicans don't actually eat only fish. They are bird eaters too. They can consume whole live birds such as pigeons, doves, baby seagulls, and ducks(sometimes African penguins). Pelicans try to eat things too big for them almost all the time, which includes humans as a matter of a fact. Stories of Pelicans attacking small children are not unheard of.

Passionfish

Today, my meningitis shot hurts so bad I can't move my arm lol.
Today's fun fact: A type of wild boar called the Babirusa has tusks growing out of the roof of its mouth, and out of the top of its head. These tusks never stop growing, and they cannot be worn down. For some, the angle of the tusks is just right, and as they grow longer, it starts to do a U-turn into their own skull, basically unintentional suicide. the picture is below.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.ce34a6f87b4dfd8305ea5cd8b264fa62?rik=MY3IdeYXKaue+w&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Passionfish

Today, I was supposed to go to a wrestling tournament, but my meningitis shot hurts too bad to wrestle (insert sad face here).
Today's fun fact: Honey badgers are known for eating honey from honey bee hives. You may think that they have an immunity to bee stings, but actually, they don't and go through the same amount of suffering that humans do when getting stung. Even so, they will continue to eat honey and they get stung by thousands of bees, and some stay long enough to be stung to death. They do not care about their lives whatsoever.

otterblue

Flamingos are actually white & only turn pink due to the shrimp they eat.

Passionfish

Because of daylight savings ending, I feel very refreshed today and happy.
Today's fun fact: Viruses are actually not cells at all. They do not categorize as plant, animal, or bacteria, but instead are their own kingdom. That's pretty awesome if you think about it. That's all I got for today, I'll try to find something super interesting tomorrow because this one doesn't really make the cut:).

Passionfish

Today, I feel depressed.
Today's fun fact: humans are the only animals that pay to live somewhere.

BigManAquatics

Today, I feel depressed.
Today's fun fact: humans are the only animals that pay to live somewhere.
Thats what civilization gets you. Shows how uncivilized we are, yes?

Passionfish

Thats what civilization gets you. Shows how uncivilized we are, yes?
right on lol

Passionfish

today, I broke my thumb and tore it's ligament while wrestling. It just keeps getting worse.
Today's fun fact: A leech has 32 brains, and 32 "bodies" linked together. that's amazing.

Passionfish

Today, I think I like this girl at my school.
Today's fun fact: Kangaroo rats are little tiny marsupials that live in the desert, and they don't drink a single drop of water their entire life, but instead survive off the water in the food that they eat. Animal adaptations will never cease to amaze me.

Passionfish

Today, i have a girlfriend.
Today's fun fact: there is a type of jellyfish that is "immortal" and can turn back into a baby any time in its life.

GlennO

I'm so meh today.
Today's fun fact: Pelicans don't actually eat only fish. They are bird eaters too. They can consume whole live birds such as pigeons, doves, baby seagulls, and ducks(sometimes African penguins). Pelicans try to eat things too big for them almost all the time, which includes humans as a matter of a fact. Stories of Pelicans attacking small children are not unheard of.
Yes be careful around pelicans with small animals. I saw a pelican eat a puppy once. Very distressing scene.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Today, i have a girlfriend.
Today's fun fact: there is a type of jellyfish that is "immortal" and can turn back into a baby any time in its life.
Congratulations :)

jpm995

today, I broke my thumb and tore it's ligament while wrestling. It just keeps getting worse.
Today's fun fact: A leech has 32 brains, and 32 "bodies" linked together. that's amazing.
You'd think they'd be smarter.

BigManAquatics

You'd think they'd be smarter.
Nope. Just look at humans. Individual brain, smart. A group of brains, total morons!!

Passionfish

hi everyone im back after a long while!
Today, I ate 7 hamburgers from school lunch as a dare.
Today's fun fact: Dolphins eat porcupine puffer fish to get high off the venom the puffer fish produce.

PlantedCommunityTank132

hi everyone im back after a long while!
Today, I ate 7 hamburgers from school lunch as a dare.
Today's fun fact: Dolphins eat porcupine puffer fish to get high off the venom the puffer fish produce.
I think I heard that before. lol. sounds kinda stupid tho

Passionfish

Today, I stayed home from school because I don't feel well.
Today's fun fact: Deer will eat other animals and the bones of other animals sometimes to gain some minerals that they lack.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Today, I stayed home from school because I don't feel well.
Today's fun fact: Deer will eat other animals and the bones of other animals sometimes to gain some minerals that they lack.
:confused:Sounds disturbing tbh. Like, when you think about deer, you think about nice animals on meadows minding their own business. Not meat eaters

Passionfish

Today, I visited my neuropsychologist at his home and he has really awesome dogs.
Today's fun fact: There is a shrimp called the Pistol shrimp that can create a sonic boom by snapping its claw shut. This soundwave created a shockwave over 230 decibels loud and also generates heat almost as hot as the sun. Basically insta-roasting their prey.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Today, I visited my neuropsychologist at his home and he has really awesome dogs.
Today's fun fact: There is a shrimp called the Pistol shrimp that can create a sonic boom by snapping its claw shut. This soundwave created a shockwave over 230 decibels loud and also generates heat almost as hot as the sun. Basically insta-roasting their prey.
yooooo. that sounds like a awesome animal. is it saltwater?

Passionfish

yooooo. that sounds like a awesome animal. is it saltwater?
ikr yea it's saltwater
Today, I lost a wrestle-off that determined the lead varsity spot for my weight class in NHSCA National duels.
Today's fun fact: Red eared sliders and Painted Turtles can hold their breath for up to 5 hours in the water.
Today, I lost a wrestle-off that determined the lead varsity spot for my weight class in NHSCA National duels.
Today's fun fact: Red eared sliders and Painted Turtles can hold their breath for up to 5 hours in the water.

PlantedCommunityTank132

ikr yea it's saltwater
crazy. imagine being able to do something like that

Passionfish

Today, I have to change my sleep schedule to cope with having to go to the gym with my friend at 6 am every day.
Today's fun fact: Blue whales and other large sized animals appear to be moving in slow motion, but they actually move at a quick speed, it's just that any other animal (including us), sees them moving much slower because we have smaller bodies and faster metabolisms. It's the same scientific reason why you aren't able to catch that fly in the house with your hands. So technically, sometimes humans can see in slow motion based on what they're observing:)

PlantedCommunityTank132

Today, I have to change my sleep schedule to cope with having to go to the gym with my friend at 6 am every day.
Today's fun fact: Blue whales and other large sized animals appear to be moving in slow motion, but they actually move at a quick speed, it's just that any other animal (including us), sees them moving much slower because we have smaller bodies and faster metabolisms. It's the same scientific reason why you aren't able to catch that fly in the house with your hands. So technically, sometimes humans can see in slow motion based on what they're observing:)
getting ripped, ey? I always wondered why they did that, and my sister sometimes asks me this. thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Quiche
Replies
Views
dakota
Replies
Views