Interesting bottom dweller suggestions please 65 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Matt B, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I have a 65g (37"x20"x25"t) That will be home to my overflow angels from my 55g once they start pairing or getting cramped. The only other stock will be 10 congo tetras. It will be a low light planted tank with play sand substrate. I've considered some kuhli's, eels, and various botia but I can't make up my mind. Cories are a no go as my wife wants some variety. I have plenty of cories and she deserves it being the angel that let me get this tank. :)

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks all. :)

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

How about some mystery snails or some shrimp or somthing along that line?

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I LOVE loaches. How about a school of dwarf chain loaches?

IMO the tank is a bit small for congos - I think they need a standard rectangular tank. I wouldn't put mine in less than a 4 foot tank.

4. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

if it's variety your looking for, nothing says I'm different than keeping a load of Koala bears...

5. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Forgot to mention, I have mysteries in other tanks and may move one over, I also may get a CPO or two.

Good one! Definite possibility, my wife will like that they're not too "slithery" as she puts it. ;)

In regards to the congos, I know I'm toeing the line abit. ;) I'm going to give it a shot considering, even though its a tall tank, it's footprint exceeds a standard 55g by 70 or so square inches I'm giving it a go.

Hmmmmm, I was thinking more aquatic critters, do they make those in underwater versions?

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I found the 55 to not be large enough (width) and upgraded them to the 75. Mine are straight line swimmers, racing from one side of the tank to the other, but the extra width of the 75 gives them the room they need to maneuver. I know it's got a big footprint, but it's still only 3 feet long and only a couple inches wider.

7. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Dually noted. Thanks for the input. :)

Long story short I've been owed 10 from a past deal for 8 months now so they will be going in there. I'll be making a build thread for it so you can follow my success/failure with it if you'd like, I guess it will boil down to making them turn more often than they'd like. Also, I like to look at it as 50% wider than a 55g, sounds much better than a couple inches (6") ;)

If it all goes to heck I have local buddies I can swap fish with. Now, back to the bottom dwellers! :;banaman

8. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I second the dwarf chain loaches. Even though they are a little on the expensive side in a large group, they are a lot of fun to watch though. They really like driftwood cover, plants, and even high places to hang out. I find them on my mag float, wedged behind the heater, and in driftwood crevices at night. During the day they swim with my tetras or rummage through the sand, basically some sort of constant activity.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I meant a couple inches wider than the 75 ;)

The dwarf chains are not cheap though. I think the best deals for them are on aquabid.

10. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

They sound great, thanks for giving your experience with them Adam. :)

Ahhh, okay :;fim

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking into them.

11. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

12. IlyasValued MemberMember

Florida Bushy Nose Pleco or Rubber Mouth Pleco are both nice looking fish and do not get too big (about 5"). They also eat algae all their life unlike a lot of the larger ones that stop for the most part when reaching a certain size.

13. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

or what about these guys?

14. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Alan! I totally spaced plecos and I like to keep one per tank if possible. I will be getting a single pleco of one of the smaller species (undecided) but I'll consider that separate from the bottom dweller species question.

15. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

I know someone that has a breeding group of Clown Plecos :whistling:

16. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I hear dwarf chain loaches are very rare and can go for $20 a fish. on the flip side I also hear they are very active and once established in a tank will go up to mid level during feeding time and are a joy to watch!

17. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

They are harder to get because they cannot be collected from the wild due to being endangered, so they have to be tank bred. They used to be a lot more expensive than they are now though. Mine came out to $11 a piece and they are worth every penny IMO. They are very odd little fish.

One thing I forgot to mention, I don't know if this is widespread across the chain loaches, but mine don't know what food is beyond bloodworms. So, that may be something to watch for, but it may just be mine.

18. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys, yeah that'd be a pricey school, I'll have to think about them.

Thanks Adam for the food tip, I'll be very careful with them in that department if I get them. Thats another great thing about qt's its much easier to handle food acceptance issues in there if solvable at all.

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Hey Matt, I found these guys on aquabid. A large group would look cool, though they aren't very big.

20. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the link. :) Neat little guys! I could imagine 20 or so would be really cool. I'm in the middle of procuring 1 of a couple possible eel's though, and I think those may really tempt it. If the eel doesn't go as planned I like the idea of a mess of smaller ones like that. The zebra pattern is really nice on them too, they'll match the angels!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice