Question Interested In Making My 29g Saltwater

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I am marine honors science this year and high school and it’s really getting my thought of having a saltwater tank flooding my head again. I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank that I could make into a saltwater, how do I do this? And how do I make it not cost a 1000 dollars?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I am marine honors science this year and high school and it’s really getting my thought of having a saltwater tank flooding my head again. I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank that I could make into a saltwater, how do I do this? And how do I make it not cost a 1000 dollars?
Hello!
It really depends on on what type of tank you want to make it Reef or FOWLR?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The best way to do it to keep it simple and on a tighter budget is to go FOWLR. This reduces the need for pricey lighting (any LED light will do for FOWLR) and more tests and of course the costs of corals themselves (pricey even for a few frags).

What would you need for FOWLR?

A decent HOB Filter (ie Seachem Tidal 55 or Fluval/Aquaclear 50) $38-$45 depending on which one you get and from where
A decent powerhead (ie Jebao Wavemaker or Koralia Hydor 3rd Gen 1350gph powerhead) About $50-$65
A lid (all fish can jump)
A basic LED light (you could use the existing one on it) either no cost or $35-$40 if you need to buy one.
An RODI system to purify your water. Keep in mind that the salt you mix it with has all the minerals needed for a healthy tank, so all the random variables in tap are likely to cause complications. You can pick up a cheap 4 stage for $60 from Amazon
A Refractometer to Measure Salinity levels $19 from Amazon
A solid test kit (ie Red Sea) $45-$55. API isn't very reliable for marine
Instant Ocean, Red Sea, etc. Salt which runs around $40 for 200 gallons worth of mix
20lbs of dry rock (dead coral which can be made live again with the introduction of bacteria and cycling), which runs about $3 a lb from Bulk Reef Supply (and it's good stuff). This becomes live rock over time and your biofilter
20lbs of sand (unless you want a bare bottom tank) $18-$20. I like the Caribsea Live Sand for the mix of substrate.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend it for the reasons mentioned above, more forgiving for newbies and cheaper to setup.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom