Interested in Cory cats

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Ewic, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ewic

Ewic Valued Member Member

20 gallon long, fully cycled tank.
    1 male swordtail, 1 male Molly, 1 male betta

I'm interested in getting Cory cats for my tank but I don't really know much about them.

How many would you keep in a 20 gallon tank? What is the minimum tank size?

Would they be ok with the fish that I have? Mostly concerned about the betta, the molly and swordtail are larger than he is so he has not bothered them for the couple of months they've been together. I know that he will eventually attack smaller fish than him.

Tried dividing the tank but somehow the other fish get on his side every time.

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

They should be in a group of at least 6. The betta is probably going to be a problem eventually.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The molly and swordtail will outgrow this tank.
    I would get the betta his own tank.....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Ewic

Ewic Valued Member Member

Thanks for advice.......

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are a very peaceful fish & would be fine in your tank size.
    They're best kept in single species groups of at least 6 as they're a shoaling fish.
    If the Betta is staying in your tank then you'd need a cory that can handle the higher temperature, Sterbai would be good, if you move the Betta to his own tank that would open up a wider selection of cory species to choose from

6. Anders247

Along with sterbai, C. oiapoquensis, aeneus, duplicareus, gossei, and adolfoi are higher temp cories.

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there, I don't think I've met you yet! :)

Minimum tank size for cories is 20g, and they need a group of six of their own species. Also, I personally would rehome the swordtail, as I've heard they get too big for a 20g.

As for the molly and betta being together, just keep an eye on those two as mollies and bettas being kept together is kind of iffy, imo. But cories and bettas are a highly recommended combo if you put bettas with other fish! :D

Good luck!

8. octopanda

octopanda Well Known Member Member

swordtails get surprisingly big, far too large for a 20. Mollies also get too big.

For a species of cory i really like emerald cats. Maybe you could get a large group of dwarf cory cats

Just my 2 cents.

9. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Panda Cories are good too. Hehehehe ;)

:)

10. Anders247

But they would need a cooler temp than bettas, if they continue to have the betta in there.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice