Interested in breeding gardneri killifish. Have some questions

wtusa1783

Well Known
I saw some gardneri killis at my lfs and I saw a pair that were dancing around each other. I’m very interested in these fish. I have some options. Can they go in my 20 long with neon and ember tetras? If that doesn’t work I have a 10 gallon. Are pairs ok? Can the eggs hatch naturally?

Falena

Well Known
I've just hatched some Gardneri killifish eggs and am raising the fry as we speak. sent to me by SnookusFish He Should be able to tell you about compatibility. I believe he keeps them with neon tetras.
Breeding wise, you use a spawning mop. And pick the eggs off to raise them. They'd probably get eaten in a community tank.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
Falena said:
I've just hatched some Gardneri killifish eggs and am raising the fry as we speak. sent to me by SnookusFish He Should be able to tell you about compatibility. I believe he keeps them with neon tetras.
Breeding wise, you use a spawning mop. And pick the eggs off to raise them. They'd probably get eaten in a community tank.
Ok. I wouldn’t necessarily breed for profit but it’s a possibility. Can you take me through the hatching process? I know they need to be out of water

Falena

Well Known
wtusa1783 said:
Ok. I wouldn’t necessarily breed for profit but it’s a possibility. Can you take me through the hatching process? I know they need to be out of water
OK :)
Well, the eggs are light sensitive. So you need somewhere dark. I hatched them in water!
I put the eggs inside clean butter tubs and floated them in the tank at a consistent temperature of 74 degrees.
I performed 25% water changes on eatch tub daily.
They take about 2 weeks to hatch. When they hatch, I let them go in their tank. They don't predate their younger siblings, so you can just tip them in or suck them up with a pipette.
They need food, so I put moss from a planted tank in their tank, for infusoria.
They are now eating banana worms I cultured, also sent by SnookusFish. And I'm perforing 50% water changes on their tand daily, to suck up any uneaten food.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
Falena said:
OK :)
Well, the eggs are light sensitive. So you need somewhere dark. I hatched them in water!
I put the eggs inside clean butter tubs and floated them in the tank at a consistent temperature of 74 degrees.
I performed 25% water changes on eatch tub daily.
They take about 2 weeks to hatch. When they hatch, I let them go in their tank. They don't predate their younger siblings, so you can just tip them in or suck them up with a pipette.
They need food, so I put moss from a planted tank in their tank, for infusoria.
They are now eating banana worms I cultured, also sent by SnookusFish. And I'm perforing 50% water changes on their tand daily, to suck up any uneaten food.
O nice! I was doing research and everyone was taking them out of the water and stuff. Is it necessary to have some sort of air pump or just daily wc will do? Where did u get the eggs again?

Falena

Well Known
Oh yeah, thats the complicated way.
They're actuallty pretty hardy! And they do hatch in water.
No air pumps or anything, just a butter tub (with lid on) and daily 25% water changes.
Keep an eye for non fertilised eggs and fungus, you'll have to remove those.

Oh SnookusFish here, sent me the eggs! :)
We are doing a trade. I'm breeding some honey gourami for him.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
Falena said:
Oh yeah, thats the complicated way.
They're actuallty pretty hardy! And they do hatch in water.
No air pumps or anything, just a butter tub (with lid on) and daily 25% water changes.
Keep an eye for non fertilised eggs and fungus, you'll have to remove those.

Oh SnookusFish here, sent me the eggs! :)
We are doing a trade. I'm breeding some honey gourami for him.
O nice. Do you think if I got a male and 2 female in a 10 gallon With a spawning mop I could get the eggs and put them in a little tub and hatch them? I would then put them in a breeder box/little bin. So did you put anything in the water?

Falena

Well Known
wtusa1783 said:
O nice. Do you think if I got a male and 2 female in a 10 gallon With a spawning mop I could get the eggs and put them in a little tub and hatch them? I would then put them in a breeder box/little bin. So did you put anything in the water?
Yes! That would work. You dont even need 2 females really. Unless youre trying to get a big spawn.
The fry are very small, so if your breeder box has gaps for aeration wouldn't recommend it.
I have my fry in a tank by themselves. Its a 3.5 gallon.

My eggs contracted a litte fungus on their journey. So I did medicate them with a mild broad spectrum medication. I used eSHa 2000.
But since your eggs aren't traveling, you shouldn't have a problem with it. But it is OK as a preventative, if you really wanted to.

Otherwise, I just used temperature matched, conditioned water, with seachem prime.

Falena

Well Known
Oh! You will need to culture food for them too. Bbs is too big. So I was given banana worms. Theyre tiny and easy to culture!

SnookusFish

Well Known
If you want, u can see in my video that i found the eggs in java moss in a communuty tank, if you want an easier breed just buy some moss and subsswasertang now and put it in the 10 gallon. Then when most of the tank is taken up with plants you can add your trio of killies, thry will spawn in the plants and eggs will hatch in the plants, and fry will hide in the plants. If you are trying to breed for profit just yse a spawning mop in a bare tank, feed high protein frozen or live foods and take the eggs off the mop everyday. Do not put them in a breeder box, they are light sensitive. Put them in a butter tub. You should put something antifungal in the tub with them whether its a chemical or even and IAL both will work. Eggs hatch faster in water so after 16 days they should atart to hatch. Just keep them in a small tank or even plastic tub with some plants and waterchanges until they are big enough for a sponge filter

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
Falena said:
Yes! That would work. You dont even need 2 females really. Unless youre trying to get a big spawn.
The fry are very small, so if your breeder box has gaps for aeration wouldn't recommend it.
I have my fry in a tank by themselves. Its a 3.5 gallon.

My eggs contracted a litte fungus on their journey. So I did medicate them with a mild broad spectrum medication. I used eSHa 2000.
But since your eggs aren't traveling, you shouldn't have a problem with it. But it is OK as a preventative, if you really wanted to.

Otherwise, I just used temperature matched, conditioned water, with seachem prime.
Ok thanks! How long do the fry take to reach about an inch? How often do I remove eggs? How long after they spawn do the eggs hatch in water?

SnookusFish

Well Known
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks! How long do the fry take to reach about an inch? How often do I remove eggs? How long after they spawn do the eggs hatch in water?
They take 5 weeks to reach an inch. I remove eggs every 2 days, they hatch 16 days after spawn.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
SnookusFish said:
They take 5 weeks to reach an inch. I remove eggs every 2 days, they hatch 16 days after spawn.
Ok nice. How big do you sell them at/how long do they take to reach maturity? What do you do with the eggs? Someone else suggested I just put a lot of java moss and water sprite and let the fish hatch naturally and take the babies out when they hatch. Is that a good idea? Will the little tub method for the eggs and then either a mess breeding net/a little bin work for fry?

Falena

Well Known
wtusa1783 said:
I Have no idea lol. I've just hatched mine, they're from 1 to 6 days old and tiny. For removing eggs and sfuff you're better off asking SnookusFish. He's the one that breeds them. This is my first attempt at raising killifish fry and owning them. I have 9 so far and 3 eggs im still waiting on lol

SnookusFish

Well Known
wtusa1783 said:
Ok nice. How big do you sell them at/how long do they take to reach maturity? What do you do with the eggs? Someone else suggested I just put a lot of java moss and water sprite and let the fish hatch naturally and take the babies out when they hatch. Is that a good idea? Will the little tub method for the eggs and then either a mess breeding net/a little bin work for fry?
You sell them once you can sex them. With the eggs you just take them off the spawning mop and put them in the tub. U can float the tub in the tank to keep the temp stable. U can do the natural method but u will get more fry using the spawning mop and tub, yes, a mesh breeder net will work. Put some plants in with them too. I use java moss

OP
W

wtusa1783

Well Known
SnookusFish said:
You sell them once you can sex them. With the eggs you just take them off the spawning mop and put them in the tub. U can float the tub in the tank to keep the temp stable. U can do the natural method but u will get more fry using the spawning mop and tub, yes, a mesh breeder net will work. Put some plants in with them too. I use java moss
Great! So it’s now so hard after all. Everything I’ve seen said you had to do all these crazy steps. About how long do the fry take to sex

New Threads