Intelligent Fish: Anyone? Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey
    Any good stories or past or present intelligent fish you may have owned?
    If so please explain :;thx

2. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I just started, but I have goldfish and they are so personable! They really have personalities of their own.

Vesper my black moore has long flowing fins and thinks she is the queen. She shoves everyone around, but in a very lady like mannar :)

Leon is a pearlscale. He is a fatty, but very friendly. He is always begging for food, and will race back and forth along the tank saying "notice me notice me!!!" and then when I ignore him he just stops and stares untill I look again, and then he will go back to racing. He likes it when I put things in the aquarium, and chasing the vacuum around while I'm cleaning.

And Meeko is a ranchu, but he is still a baby. He's decided that Leon is his friend, even though leon doesn't always acknowledge him. Meeko will follow leon around as best he can. He always seems to be up to trouble though and sometimes needs help out of his messes, but we still love him.

That is my experience. I've heard both Oscars and Betta fish have loads of personality.
    I've heard/seen videos of Oscars getting sad when you move furniture, or some that take a disliking to the owners girlfriends! They can recognize their owners and really love interactions.

I'm not sure what you are looking for when you say intelligent fish though. I don't think they can learn to count, but you can teach many fish tricks!

3. VenomGrass Member Member

Thats exactly what I meant thanks! was very interesting to read and made me smile too! I'm thinking of adding 2 Bettas to my tank (obv male and female) dont want any fighting lol. Thank you! :)

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

there's a really good betta care guide on this website. I's strongly recommend each betta get its own 5g tank. They don't do well in a community setting. (just click the blue underlined "betta")

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh dear, please don't. A male and a female will also fight. :(
    As you've already read, bettas do better by themselves.

6. callichma Well Known Member Member

Hey VenomGrass. Listen to what these members are telling you about not putting a Betta in a community tank. I didn't. Thought I knew better. My betta did well for a while in my community tank, but he wasn't as personable as he was when I had him by himself. Then he got aggressive. Fish that are picked on are more susceptible to disease, and I'm just now getting my tanks back to where I can enjoy them. I put my betta in his own 5g filtered, heated tank, and he loves it. He's back to being Mr. Personality, and shares his tank with a gold mystery snail. So...hope that helps.

7. clownloachy Initiate Member

clown loaches are the most amusing and intelligent fish ever! they always come right to the front of the tank when i come over. they even eat out of my hand! and its fun to watch them interact with other clown loaches.

8. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

umm, most fish are pretty smart. my black ghost knife, angelfish, crayfish, tandanus catfish, axolotl, clown loach and goldfish all eat from my hands, plus nearly all bettas i've had.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Betta Fish Care Guide
    Good morning. A link you may find helpful concerning Bettas above.

My Bloody Parrots. hmmmmm Never a dull moment in my tank. :whistling:I really should wear a rain coat at feeding time because they are so large I usually get soaked as they splash about.:shock: They're always smiling for me. They love their Daddy! (me):giggle:I have photo albums in my profile if you want to take a look.
    Ken

10. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

My favorite memory of fish intteligence was when people came to visit me last year. I had about 5 males who were very territorial and as soon a a guy would come into my room they'd all flare-up and try to chase him out. It was really funny, never did it to the same degree with my female friends though :p

11. Jake the Fish Member Member

My Betta is so funny(but intelligent). One day I was feeding him and he was just staring at me. So I looked at him and did an air kiss and he kissed back! When I do it he just opens his mouth for 1-2 seconds. He's so cute.

12. jana Member Member

My angelfish and black mollies are very intelligent :D They always recognise me,eat from my hands and even have a long talk with me sometimes! :p

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

My bettas are very smart. I train them to do tricks! My Achilles the wonderfish was trained on vocal commands! I have him on Vid!

14. VenomGrass Member Member

You have an axolotl tank!? Thats amazing do you have any vids/pics? Those things are very .. different! :)

15. VenomGrass Member Member

Thats amazing. How the heckles do you train a fish via vocal command? Must take great skill and patience!:eek:

16. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My Oscars are very smart! They're brutes though...;)

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My JD's are very smart! My "shy" male (rescue) watches me do water changes. ALL of my convicts and JD's have me "trained" to give them pellets. There are certain places they expect the pellets to fall, too. They don't like flakes.

George, he was my very first JD, had me trained to hand feed him, but I stopped doing that when I realized how big he's going to get. I don't want to get bit.