Intake Sponge for Marineland filters?

aurms12

alright I have been searching for two hours now for an intake sponge that will fit my marineland 350's, marineland 200's and my marineland 150 but I can't seem to figure out what would be best...

can someone guide me on what a good intake filter would be for these guys

thanks in advance

Brett S.

If you can't find one then get some filter sponge

And wrap it around the intake and zip tie/ rubber band/ tie it on. I have that exact sponge, it is ok. Especially for the price

CaptAnnDuchow

I couldnt find one for my marineland 350 so I took some of the blue and white filter cut to fit pad and rubber banded ot around the end.

Brett S.

I couldnt find one for my marineland 350 so I took some of the blue and white filter cut to fit pad and rubber banded ot around the end.
Lol. Same idea

Dedife

I understand! I read a lot of reviews to try to figure out what would work! I’m new to this hobby, so didn’t want to do a do-it-yourself type project. I ended up ordering the large pre filter from aquariumcoop for my AquaClear 70. It’s huge, but fits the filter perfect. The pores are large enough to not get clogged easily. They have different sizes. Maybe read the reviews there? A lot of people mention in the reviews how it fits in different filters.

aurms12

I was going to get a sponge from aquaruimcoop...until I saw that one was $9 alone, so I decided to pass on that, even though I know it would likely work... i'm not trying to be cheap but I also don't want to spend $40-$60 on sponges, ya know, i'm new to trying this out, clearly, so once I figure it out I'll be set but its the getting there process...I could try the makeshift one, the attachment may be difficult since i'm short and my 75gal tank is up to my shoulders but I could figure it out

Brett S.

I was going to get a sponge from aquaruimcoop...until I saw that one was $9 alone, so I decided to pass on that, even though I know it would likely work... i'm not trying to be cheap but I also don't want to spend $40-$60 on sponges, ya know, i'm new to trying this out, clearly, so once I figure it out I'll be set but its the getting there process...I could try the makeshift one, the attachment may be difficult since i'm short and my 75gal tank is up to my shoulders but I could figure it out
The one I linked was like 70c with free shipping. Get a chair to stand on? I don't have that problem thankfully

Dedife

I understand! Definitely not the cheapest route. I’m still learning, so decided it was worth it for me for a infrequently purchased item. If it had to be replaced frequently...I would definitely look at cheaper options! I only have one filter as well.

aurms12

The one I linked was like 70c with free shipping. Get a chair to stand on? I don't have that problem thankfully
yeah a chair is usually my go-to , I did place an order so fingers crossed it works and thank you!

I understand! Definitely not the cheapest route. I’m still learning, so decided it was worth it for me for a infrequently purchased item. If it had to be replaced frequently...I would definitely look at cheaper options! I only have one filter as well.
I wouldn't be replacing it often but I also have 2 filters in each tank and 3 tanks so that's how it would rack up the price for me haha thanks for your input though!

Brett S.

yeah a chair is usually my go-to , I did place an order so fingers crossed it works and thank you!
Yw. The sponge is pretty coarse so it shouldnt get clogged too much.

I wouldn't be replacing it often but I also have 2 filters in each tank and 3 tanks so that's how it would rack up the price for me haha thanks for your input though!
So wait, 6 filters? No wonder you didnt want to go the $9 route.

TheeLadyG

LOL yep I'm 5'2 and I'm up to my armpits in my 75g... I got a cheap folding stepstool and it works wonders. I just keep it by the cabinet. It also makes a handy fish viewing seat.

Islandvic

Here are 2 options where for under $10, you can put sponges on all three of your HOB's.

You can use the Aquaclear 3-pack refill foam sponge blocks for either their AC70 model as intake sponge pre-filters.

They can be found online for $5. If you have a Petsmart locally, they will price match their own online price (which is usually a lot cheaper than in-store prices).

Here is a pic of their 3-pack refill for the AC50, which are slightly smaller than the AC70 sponges.

View media item 246405
If you remove the strainer you're left with a rectangular intake tube.

You can cut the end of the sponge and remove some material so the intake tube can be slipped inside a few inches.

A plastic zip tie (aka cable tie) or a rubber band can be used to secure the sponge to the intake tube.

I use this method on my Aquaclear 70. It catches a ton of muck, and leaves the media in the basket a lot cleaner for a longer period of time. I don't have a pic at this time though.

Here is a YouTube video showing how it is done. It appears they use an AC50 sponge and cut it in half.

Another option is available from Petsmart (if you have access to one). They sell Top Fin MF-M replacement sponges that come in a 2-pack for $3.

They are closed off on one side and open on the other end. These may fit on your smaller Penguin 200 and 150.

I use them on an Aquaclear 30 and Top Fin 20 HOB filters. They work well.

View media item 246402
View media item 246403
View media item 246404
Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Be aware that a lot of the "intake sponges" on ebay and Amazon are open on both ends. So you would have to figure out how to plug the bottom end.

aurms12

Here are 2 options where for under $10, you can put sponges on all three of your HOB's.

You can use the Aquaclear 3-pack refill foam sponge blocks for either their AC70 model as intake sponge pre-filters.

They can be found online for $5. If you have a Petsmart locally, they will price match their own online price (which is usually a lot cheaper than in-store prices).

Here is a pic of their 3-pack refill for the AC50, which are slightly smaller than the AC70 sponges.

View media item 246405
If you remove the strainer you're left with a rectangular intake tube.

You can cut the end of the sponge and remove some material so the intake tube can be slipped inside a few inches.

A plastic zip tie (aka cable tie) or a rubber band can be used to secure the sponge to the intake tube.

I use this method on my Aquaclear 70. It catches a ton of muck, and leaves the media in the basket a lot cleaner for a longer period of time. I don't have a pic at this time though.

Here is a YouTube video showing how it is done. It appears they use an AC50 sponge and cut it in half.

Another option is available from Petsmart (if you have access to one). They sell Top Fin MF-M replacement sponges that come in a 2-pack for $3.

They are closed off on one side and open on the other end. These may fit on your smaller Penguin 200 and 150.

I use them on an Aquaclear 30 and Top Fin 20 HOB filters. They work well.

View media item 246402
View media item 246403
View media item 246404
Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Be aware that a lot of the "intake sponges" on ebay and Amazon are open on both ends. So you would have to figure out how to plug the bottom end.
OKAY!!! THE SECOND ONE is what I was looking into but I can't find it online, so I didn't think they were still making it. is this a product they don't advertise online??

Islandvic

I believe their Top Fin brand came out with a new line of filters, power heads and accessories and they have a new visual look to their packaging also.

Many of the new items I have seen in the store are not on their website.

Top Fin had a very similar version of those 2-packs of sponges I had bought last year and noticed they stopped carrying them.

They may be the exact same sponges but with different packaging. The internal filters they are supposed to fit have changed also.

Their new products started to appear on shelves back in December I think.

My guess is their online sales dept is not communicating with the purchasing/distribution side of the company.

This was the old version of the packaging, but the sponges appear to be the same.....

Screenshot_20190120-105909_Chrome.jpg

Cichlidude

Or you can buy a block sponge and make your own.

aurms12

I did buy my own sponge, even new rubber bands, and will be making them but I also wanted to look into the others for my smaller ones

Bryangar

I use a black bag that is used to hold bio media on my 350. Works great, and I don’t have to worry about it constantly being clogged or switching it out.

danielsnod12

I have the Penguin 200 filter, the one with the bio wheel. I have an intake sponge that I used to use but when using it it seemed that more stuff was floating in the water than than there was when I didn’t have the sponge on. Is this a normal thing for intake sponges? Also I’m tired of the bio wheel not working and I’m taking it off, will putting the sponge on be a good idea for the loss of bio media?

Chris1212

I have a penguin 150 and also added an intake/prefilter sponge. It is working great except when removed it yesterday to clean (swish in old tank water), all of the material it collected floated away making a mess of my water. Water is all cleared up now but what a pain. I tried putting a net around it first but I guess I wasn't coordinated enough.

Not sure about loss of bio media with the bio wheel. My wheel is still turning fine. I replaced the carbon cartridge with a couple of sponges and a bag of seachem matrix.

BigManAquatics

I have the Penguin 200 filter, the one with the bio wheel. I have an intake sponge that I used to use but when using it it seemed that more stuff was floating in the water than than there was when I didn’t have the sponge on. Is this a normal thing for intake sponges? Also I’m tired of the bio wheel not working and I’m taking it off, will putting the sponge on be a good idea for the loss of bio media?
I have had this issue with intake sponges. I only tend to use them if we have fry in the tank, give them a little bit of a shot to make it to adulthood.

ProudPapa

. . . It is working great except when removed it yesterday to clean (swish in old tank water), all of the material it collected floated away making a mess of my water. Water is all cleared up now but what a pain. I tried putting a net around it first but I guess I wasn't coordinated enough.

Try slipping it inside a quart plastic bag, and hold it as tight around the intake tube as you can when removing the sponge. That will keep most of the debris in the bag.

Chris1212

Try slipping it inside a quart plastic bag, and hold it as tight around the intake tube as you can when removing the sponge. That will keep most of the debris in the bag.

Good tip, I'll try that. Stupid question - do you put the bag on it before or after you turn the filter off?

AngelfishDude722

Very good idea.

ProudPapa

Good tip, I'll try that. Stupid question - do you put the bag on it before or after you turn the filter off?

I don't usually turn the filter off, but maybe I should.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
crystalmemphis
Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views