Intake Mod Question

1. RosaGarden Initiate Member

I'm at the beginning stages of really setting up my 5 gallon again after close to 10 fishless years. The problem I am now considering is that my betta for whom this tank is currently a hospital tank (long story whose general outlines you can probably guess) doesn't seem to like the filter current which is non-adjustable. Mainly right now I want him to be able to sleep in peace at night so he can heal properly, but in the future I also want him to be comfortable. Plants will probably help, but should I go that route alone or also try to mod the filter intake to reduce the flow and if so how would you suggest doing it? I have the filter off right now because for a betta there is no real point when antibiotics are in the water anyway. I'd appreciate any suggestions! [​IMG]

2. Initiate Member Member

Stuffing the filter full of media can help slow the water. But otherwise I would just buy a new filter.

3. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

You can tie off a chunk of filter foam or filter sponge media to the output using fishing line. Then the flow is dispersed through the sponge and not blowing around your betta when he wants to nap.

Works great in a pinch and using foam or sponge media you can use even a piece of dowel to run the line through the sponge or you can just tie it pinching down the sponge a bit.

Also your betta will appriciate you wrapping a bit of sponge around the intake or stuffing some filter floss in it so it doesn't vacuum suck his fins! Even tying a nylon stocking around the end will help (doesn't diffuse or slow flow but helps so he's not actually sucked into the intake)

4. RosaGarden Initiate Member

The last part was sort of what I was thinking without knowing what material to use but these are all really great concrete tips! Any idea what less flow might mean for my biowheel once I start trying to cycle? Will it develop the bacteria just as well?