Instructions for disinfecting tank equipment, please

1. DaniosRock Member Member

I have had an undiagnosed illness in my QT and a casualty. I have removed the body and done a 50% w/c. I know I can use bleach or alcohol but I'm not clear on the method. Do I soak in a bleach solution? At what ratio and how long? do I just wipe the equipment down with alcohol? What about my syphon hose? I don't want to pass this to my other tank or reinfect the QT.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Jchendrix5, this is the routine I follow when disenfecting a new to me tank or a QT tank i used to treat an illness. I use 1 cup of germicial bleach for every 5 gallons of water and fill the tank im disinfecting half way up with the water and bleach solution. I then take any equipment such as heaters, nets, filters, decor, etc... and soak them in the bleach and water solution. While these soak, I then scrub the upper sides and outside of the tank with a sponge and gloves so everything is coated with the water bleach for 5 minutes. I then let it stand for another 5 minutes, I then rinse everything off with clean water until the bleach smell is gone. I then have a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol, and I spray the inside of the tank and equipment for 5 minutes keeping everything moist with the alcohol, rinse with clean water, I then finish everything off with a second bleach and water bath, though this time, i use 1 cup of bleach for every 10 gallons of water, soak for 10 minutes and rinse, rinse and rinse. once complete, i let everything air dry.

3. DaniosRock Member Member

Thank you very much! I wanted to be sure I had the ratios correct. On my own I would have used far less bleach, and not followed up with alcohol.

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

The reason I follow this procedure is because it was recommended to me on here before as the best approach in eliminating all disease from your tank. Bleach concentrations vary, i like to make my disinfectant solution strong as bleach starts breaking down once exposed to water and in the sun and I clean my tanks outside on my lawn. Best of luck.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

70% isopropyl alcohol is best; don't go too high in the alcohol content or it will evaporate too fast. take care to avoid breathing the fumes. You can also drain it and just let it air dry if you prefer.

6. sliderdkp Member Member

10 % clorox to water disinfects everything in hospitals. Would this be enough? And how about hydrogen peroxide?

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

You may want to read the application/mixture label. Certain strains of bacteria will survive.

8. sliderdkp Member Member

Thank You! Will do!