Instructional Videos... let's try this again

junebug

HI all! I've been asked to do a series of instructional videos on setting up a planted tank when my new one comes in. I don't have all the fancy equipment and such, but I do have a video camera that doesn't make the horrendous clicking noise my other one makes (that's why I didn't post vids for a long time... was looking for a way to fix it/cover it up and eventually decided music was my best bet lol).

I'm hoping to use you guys as guinea pigs so I don't end up sounding dumb when I do the ones requested, so I just made this one of my vintage tank (one I've been meaning to document for a while, this was a perfect excuse XD). Tell me what other info you'd like to see on tank setup, especially planting advice/hardscape advice, etc.

Also I apologize in advance for several things.... the first being the god-awful lighting in this part of my apartment, causing reflections of my wonderful pajamas on the tank (yes those are Elmo pants). The second would be the mess in my kitchen... all of my fish stuff miraculously ended up spread on the floor. The third apology is for the weird white smear on the tank frame... I don't know what it is and I can't seem to get it off. Oh well.

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments or thoughts on what content you'd like to see Thanks!

AJ59690

For some reason the video says it is unavailable.

ZakAttack

It says the video is unavailable... ?

Ahh! I was ninja'd!

junebug

My youtube is being an idiot. Give me a few minutes, I'll fix it

ZakAttack

Perhaps the world wasn't ready for Elmo pajamas....

Perhaps just leave it for an hour or so..
That's helped with other uploading issues I've had.

junebug

That's almost certainly it. I'm on like the 5th try and it won't finish the video What is going on with youtube right now? lol!

aquatic1

My youtube is being wonky as well, trying to upload a new video and it just won't go -_- grr!

junebug

I've had one minute remaining for like 20 minutes. >.> Might have to give the youtube folks some time to fix whatever's wrong and try again. I only have so much time before I may or may not have to go to work lol.

atc84

Darnn I was excited for the Elmo paja- err I mean tank xD

junebug

Duh! It's all about the elmo jammies!

But the tank is cool too... grr youtube, work already!

Mike

Nice! I created a new section for instructional videos where you can post them!

Timz

nice vid. and it isn't as bad as you wrote it above, with all the apologies. keep the good work up. hehe

Rivieraneo

Great vid June!

aquatic1

I wish my bettas would stay that still! Great video

Rivieraneo

Elmo! Better than emo!

ZakAttack

Looks great! Glad you got your youtube up and running again.

junebug

Thanks, guys! And great idea, Mike! Yay new sections

So are there any thoughts on content? I know a lot of us have planted tanks, but the folks that will be watching the series I do probably have never even had a fish before lol. So I plan to give a brief explanation of lighting (although I have no way to measure PAR, I always just guess and compensate for any booboos I make with adjusting photoperiod. (I should look into getting a PAR meter... would be really useful for the super low profile tanks lol)

I'll probably suggest a few brands of aquarium substrate and what plants will need special substrates and which ones won't... and/or how to compensate if you don't use a plant substrate.

The main topic will be aquascaping though Maybe I should call the series "How to make your planted tank look pretty" lol. That will include how to build a nice hardscape, plant placement, etc.

It's a community full of betta people and I've had really good luck with breeding in my planted tank, which is what the new one will be for as well, so the site owner was like "pllleeeease people need to know this for wilds" lol.

atc84

I'm a little confused, on your last paragraph what do you mean by "it's a community...". Are we referring to another site?

What was the recipe for the dirt you put in??

Great video! Keep it up!

junebug

Haha, yes, the site I was asked to make the tutorials for is a betta breeding site.

The soil was a complicated yet simple process once I figured out that I could use mineralized organic soil from an old cactus pot mixed with various non-organic things I have around, like sand and gravel. I have a thread on it:

Rivieraneo

I'm sure I'll have some request June, I'm horrible with aquarium plants, I just guzzled some nitequil though, so nigghttyyy niigghhtttt.

junebug

Lol Riv! I just assumed it was another kind of liquid making you act silly this evening.

Well the substrate tutorial is up for the betta folks. I hope it's well received and not too horribly long, so people will actually read the small article and watch the video (if youtube ever actually posts it)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
15 Gallon Tank Should I try betta again?
Replies
Views
bermese2002
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies
Views